Breed help!

Firefox

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2023
Chicken 1
20230823_100451.jpg

Chicken 2
20230823_100456.jpg

Got these hens from tractor supply. Bottom one is darker than the other, great personalities. They have small combs and wattles, small crests, and light to dark brown coloration.

Chicken 3 and 4
20230823_100413.jpg

Small black chickens dotted with white. I have two of these, both identical looking. Barely visible combs and wattles, smooth heads, and small tail feathers.

Chicken 5
20230823_100630.jpg
20230823_100632.jpg

Shoutout to @JedJackson for getting the breed right when he was just a chick! Never could of thought he'd be a roo. Crows all day! Still up in the air about the breed though. Odd looking comb with no wattle. Black with extremely shiny feathers. Tail feathers look exactly like that of most roosters. One if his tail feathers is green and he has slight orange coloration on his back? Don't know why this is.

3 & 4 are Silver Laced Wyandottes.

1 & 2 might be Olive Eggers. They look like they are part Cream Legbar and part something else, which is fairly common when hatcheries are breeding Olive Eggers.

#5 I don't even have a guess.
Thank you

I think 1 and 2 are Legbar cross Easter eggers. 2 is a cockerel.

The blue one also looks like a Legbar mix EE cockerel.

The two black and white ones, as noted above, are silver laced Wyandotte pullets.

The white one is probably a Leghorn and is another cockerel.

If you ordered sexed pullets, I would contact the hatchery or feed store for a refund. 50% is not a reasonable number of males if they were supposed to be sexed.

Last edited:
3 also looks like a Legbar mix EE cockerel.

The two black and white ones, as noted above, are silver laced Wyandotte pullets.

#3 is one of the Wyandottes.

Do you mean #5, the cockerel with blue feathers, is a Legbar mix EE cockerel? I was thoroughly stumped on what breed or mix he could be, but that sounds like a definite possibility.

#3 is one of the Wyandottes.

Do you mean #5, the cockerel with blue feathers, is a Legbar mix EE cockerel? I was thoroughly stumped on what breed or mix he could be, but that sounds like a definite possibility.
Yes, that's what I meant. I went back and edited for clarity. I can't think what else the blue one could be if it is from a hatchery or feed store.

...Odd looking comb with no wattle. Black with extremely shiny feathers....

The "almost no wattles" is because he has a beard. The beard makes wattles smaller, and of course it also hides whatever wattles do grow.

Chickens 1 through 4 are sexed pullets, although chicken 2 is looking like a cockerel. I also have two white leghorns in the background that aren't showing any super distinct features of male or female, so I'm just going to wait until they either crow or lay an egg 😂. We know we want to keep the black roo, but any others that turn out to be male we will have to give away.

Thanks for the input on breeds everyone!

Did a little googling, 1 and 2 look almost exactly like cream legbars. And if I am correct, they are chickens that can be autosexed by their feather color, meaning number 2 is almost certainly a rooster, right?

Back
Top Bottom