1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed ID, Please!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sp0iledFl0ck, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Sp0iledFl0ck

Sp0iledFl0ck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    I have no idea what breed he is, only that he doesn't match the breeds listed for the batch of birds I got. He's rusty all over, but on his shoulders, the tips of the feathers are slightly lighter colour, he has a little black in his tail. He's two months old.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    looks like a hatchery New Hampshire Red, oh and its cockerel... but it could be a cross also

3. Sp0iledFl0ck

Oct 1, 2012
    Hhmm, the difference I see between the two is the NH Red has a red fleshy face; my roo has a feathered face. He prob is a mix of NH and something else.

I figured he was a roo a few weeks ago; he's the only one of the six with a comb! I figured I'd like to know what breed, just in case I raise chicks from him later, and want to ID the cross. Thanks.

A

4. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    With the little amount of tail black he has at the moment I'd lean towards him being a red sex-link male or crossbreed not so much a New Hampshire but things can always change in the next couple to three months. He will get a more reddened faced as he comes into maturity that biddy fuzz(down) on his face will disappear with time too.

Jeff.

5. Sp0iledFl0ck

Oct 1, 2012
    I know, it's prob a bit early to tell....I think he's gonna be handsome guy, whatever he is! I looked through the "Breeds" tab on the site this morning; he does look like a sex-link. I guess I'm just impatient. First-time chicken mom; can you tell :)

Angela

6. Sp0iledFl0ck

Oct 1, 2012
    Definitely a New Hampshire (21 weeks). And a very sweet boy.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by