Breed of light colored hen and is the Red a Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alisonC, May 18, 2016.

1. alisonC

alisonC New Egg

May 18, 2016
    [​IMG]both are part of a flock of 12, 6 each. About 13 weeks old I think. What breed is this one?

[​IMG]we have 4 of the Reds that look like this. The other 2 have smaller combs and wattles. Do we have 4 Roo's? I cant tell by their feathers. Is it too early?

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    For the Red ones, if you have some with small and others with Large then the larger ones are males, sadly. For breed on the first one, I'd say its a "Feedstore Red" which means it could be a sex link, new hamp, or a red egg laying breed as such

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The first bird is a red sexlink pullet. The second bird is a Production Red, and is undoubtedly a cockerel. The comb is too red, too early for a pullet, and there is very clear male feathering coming in. Do you see the very shiny, pointed feathering on the neck, shoulder area, and the back? Those are specific to males.

1 person likes this.
  4. kmorales

kmorales Just Hatched

May 18, 2016
    [​IMG] sunshine
    [​IMG] blondie
    [​IMG] Chewbacca
    [​IMG] Chewbacca
    [​IMG] Ash

5. alisonC

alisonC New Egg

May 18, 2016
    thank you all. I figured we had some Roo's but wanted to make sure before we make the decision to re-home a few of them.

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Blondie and Sunshine are pullets. The Easter Eggers are cockerels.

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    any advice on having 4 cockrels with 8 pullets? The cockerels do fight a bit, not too bad but....

Keeping all 4 will become more problematic as they mature. Cockerels raised together can live peacefully, once their pecking order is well established. While the boys may get along, I can promise you that your pullets will not be happy at all. You don't have enough girls to go around, and having 4 hormone riddled, teenage boys to constantly dodge will be a major source of stress. Only keep one, or rehome them all.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by