Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
Well...chicken math struck. I went to pick up a pair of polish hens from some people who've been taking in unwanted and overcrowded chickens and getting them all back up to snuff and finding them new homes and selling them. I got the hens, and they gave me a 10 week old Easter Egger pullet for free because one of the hens I bought from them previously had died overnight, no idea why. And then I saw that they had some chicks. They don't intend to keep any chickens permanently except their pet rooster, and in the meantime enjoy the eggs from all the hens they have as they sell them. Knowing this, I asked if I could buy the chick, and they said yes. So, here she is:

ChickFace.jpg

ChickComb.jpg

ChickBack.jpg

ChickWing.jpg

Any idea what she is? She's from a local college's agricultural program that has several purebred breeding flocks.

Looks like my welsummer chicks. But I think there are several different breeds that have that same look as chicks. The feathers coming in aren't quite the same pattern as my welsummer chicks though. Somebody else will probably come along and tell you what other breeds have chicks that look like that. Good luck!

No other guesses? It DOES look like a welsummer. Can anyone confirm this?

I don't think it's quite right for a Wellie. Several breeds start out chipmonk looking, post again in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom