1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed of This Chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Pyxis, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Well...chicken math struck. I went to pick up a pair of polish hens from some people who've been taking in unwanted and overcrowded chickens and getting them all back up to snuff and finding them new homes and selling them. I got the hens, and they gave me a 10 week old Easter Egger pullet for free because one of the hens I bought from them previously had died overnight, no idea why. And then I saw that they had some chicks. They don't intend to keep any chickens permanently except their pet rooster, and in the meantime enjoy the eggs from all the hens they have as they sell them. Knowing this, I asked if I could buy the chick, and they said yes. So, here she is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any idea what she is? She's from a local college's agricultural program that has several purebred breeding flocks.

2. Maev

Maev Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Yakima, WA
    Looks like my welsummer chicks. But I think there are several different breeds that have that same look as chicks. The feathers coming in aren't quite the same pattern as my welsummer chicks though. Somebody else will probably come along and tell you what other breeds have chicks that look like that. Good luck!

3. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Thanks! Are there any other guesses?

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    No other guesses? It DOES look like a welsummer. Can anyone confirm this?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't think it's quite right for a Wellie. Several breeds start out chipmonk looking, post again in a few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by