Breed question

Linda91722

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
California
Ok I posted a picture of my new hen and I had very positive responds telling me she is a enlish game hen I just have a questions my little girl here had 7 chicks and when I look at them it appears as if there are two different breads there, is this possible? I have four chickes that are dark in color and have a fat green tint legs and then three chiicks that are like their mom skinny yellow legs. is it possible I have three that are like her and four that are easter eggers?

Quote:
Game chickens will throw all kinds of leg colors. blue-yellow-white-Green-black-and even mixtures.. so i would they could be coming from her.. whats the dad? the green legs can be determined from him as well. chicks do after all. have some of his genetics

-Daniel

Leg colors can also vary depending on sex of the chick so it could be that the heavier green legs are your little cockerels and the yellows are your pullets. Here's a leg color chart that will give you an idea what your yellow legged hen can throw based on the roosters leg color Here

I am not sure what the rooster was as I rescued the hen and chicks from the animal shelter. so am I to understand that the green color eggs are roos and not hens?

Not necessarily.
smile.png
It is possible that each of your chicks has a different sire too, because there could have been multiple roosters where ever she came from. I wouldn't worry about the different leg colors. Show us some pictures!
wink.png

I will tell you a little about how leg color works

There are a few very basics.
White legs; this means there are no "color" genetics present in the bird for yellow or blue legs

Yellow legs; any bird with one OR two copies of "Y" will have yellow legs as long as no other genes for leg color are there

Blue legs: one or two copies of (I dont know the abbreviation) will cause the bird to have blue legs, as long as nothing else is present

Green legs: indicate the presence of BOTH yellow and blue leg color genes. One OR two copies of each

Black legs: there is a whole 'nother set of questions that have to be asked here, as there is more than one gene that can cause black in the legs

Back
Top Bottom