Breed Questions

FOOD SOURCE

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2016
I've lately been doing some research on some hens I might purchase. The questions are for all of the fallowing breeds: New Hampshire Red,Black Australorp,Golden Comet, Brown Leghorn,and Black Sex Links.

1) How is it's behavior?
2) Is it a good egg producing bird?
3) Does it have a tendency of going broody?
4) What size and color are its eggs?
5) Does it coop well with other breeds of birds?

I have golden comets 2 of the 5 have laid about a week, I have 14 eggs. Mine are very friendly but I have handled them daily from day one.
They are sex-links, they will not breed true. So you will need to replace in about 3 years, maybe sooner from what I've read their production slows way down. But that's ok. I like chicken. GC

I have golden comets 2 of the 5 have laid about a week, I have 14 eggs. Mine are very friendly but I have handled them daily from day one.
They are sex-links, they will not breed true. So you will need to replace in about 3 years, maybe sooner from what I've read their production slows way down. But that's ok. I like chicken. GC
Your other questions my eggs are small but they're supposed to be large to EL at their peak. 1 lays brown, 1 lays pink. Still waiting on 3 others. These are the only breed I have so I don't know if they will get along with other breeds.
They Chase squirrels, chipmunks, songbirds, cats. So I would guess that they would Chase other chickens out of town. GC
The white one is ceramic.

Sex links and comets are egg laying machines. They lay large brown eggs and are mild mannered. When hens first start laying their eggs will be small. Takes time and they will get bigger. Stretch factor there, I have an old Comet and she only lays one egg a week but wow.

I've lately been doing some research on some hens I might purchase. The questions are for all of the fallowing breeds: [COLOR=000000]New Hampshire Red,Black Australorp,Golden Comet, Brown Leghorn,and Black Sex Links.[/COLOR] 

1) How is it's behavior?
2) Is it a good egg producing bird?
3) Does it have a tendency of going broody?
4) What size and color are its eggs?
5) Does it coop well with other breeds of birds?

Our NH are very docile and good layers, the black Australorps are friendly and also great layers but a little aggressive towards other chickens. Our leghorns are excellent layers of large to extra large eggs (very reliable) I got 2 that are very mild and friendly and 2 that are aggressive(you can never tell) one got broody the 2nd spring, was able to wean it in few days and back to laying after 3 wks. Our black sex links just started laying 3 wks ago and very consistent every day, very friendly.

All our hens cooped (large coop) really good together tho a couple had some squabbles during hormonal period (point of lay). All lay different shade of brown and pink eggs except the leghorns that lay white.

As with people, chickens will have different temperaments (behavior) some aloof, some very friendly, some aggressive some wants to be on your lap. The way you interact and raise them will also affect their behaviors.

Back
Top Bottom