Breed recommendation needed for first timer

Lots of people do keep mixed breed flocks. I prefer single breed flocks.
What I would suggest is if you plan on having six hens then two of each breed, or all different breeds may save you some social problems.
Try and look for breeds that are known to be breed tolerant.
Try and avoid the situation where you have more than one of a particular breed in an otherwise mixed flock.
Finally beat in mind that having hens of similar body weight can help to avoid bullying.

I have a Lavender Orpingtons and a couple Australorps (my Australorps are still chicks) and the whole family adores them. Our Orp is a treat, she's a huge sweet heart, but despite the breed's quite reputation, she is L O U D! Our Australorp chicks are the sweetest ones we have raised, but that's all that we know now. I know that Australorps are some of the best egg layers. I have no experience with Wyandottes, but I've heard they're awesome as well!
Yeah, my buff Orpington is a big girl and she has lungs to match!

I have Whiting True Blue I do not recommend them for first time chicken owners or in suburbs. They fly well. The big heritage breeds dominate them.

Thank you all for great input. To answer some of the questions asked,
- I live in northern California - so dry like 9 months and some rainy days during the winter, rarely goes under 40F, no snow.
- I heard that I can have up to 6 hens without permit according to the city ordinance, so I got greedy and was looking to start with six :) Planning to have coop/run for 6 anyway. Will think about it some more.

Slightly different question - for those who are raising hens for eggs, what do you do after they get old and stop laying eggs? Personally I can't imagine I butcher them for meat, but at the same time I am not sure I would be able to keep them as pets until they die naturally since I can only have up to 6.

This is something that you have to work out for yourself, and it can be hard.
I can keep any birds forever if I wish, and some do stay for a long time. Others might die, either because of illness, or predation (I do free range), and I do sell a few each year.
To keep a eggs coming every year, you will need some youngsters at least every other year, or annually if there's been a disaster of some sort.
You could get your six this year, and then make decisions next year, or have a loss, or plan on chicks in two years.
Or move to the boonies, where you can have dozens!
Mary

- I live in northern California - so dry like 9 months and some rainy days during the winter, rarely goes under 40F, no snow.
- I heard that I can have up to 6 hens without permit according to the city ordinance, so I got greedy and was looking to start with six :) Planning to have coop/run for 6 anyway. Will think about it some more.

Slightly different question - for those who are raising hens for eggs, what do you do after they get old and stop laying eggs? Personally I can't imagine I butcher them for meat, but at the same time I am not sure I would be able to keep them as pets until they die naturally since I can only have up to 6.
I rotate at least 1/2 of my flick annually. Say you start six this year....next spring you start three chicks and as they near laying you sell three hens. At the end of their first laying cycle they still have good value. The new layers will be starting as the last uears birds are getting ready to molt, which usually involves stopping laying. The jew kids lay 5hrough winter, older gals may or may not wait until spring to restart....repeat and replace the oldest hens....you will always have eggs and bu selling by the end of second laying cycle you will usually be able to find someone who wants them.
I used to have a "no sacred cows" policy to flock management, but my husband has now claimed two thirds as his so they will stay.....no biggy for me, I just told him his birds couldnt count against me on total birds, lol.

Well, why don’t you start off with three and then in a few years add two or three more? The heritage breeds should lay really well for five or six years. I plan on keeping mine as pets, I don’t really eat that many eggs anyhow.

Three is too few! I'd start with at least four or five this first year. Or six.
Mary
I have more than three, but sounds like her city limits her to a maximum of six and that is with the permit. I have nine and I do not like when my make noise, because Ihave neighbors. One of mine was screaming her head off just now because there was someone in the nest box that she wanted. I have five nest areas! Anyhow now she is in my bedroom in a Tupperware container laying her egg, LOL!! She seems happy now!

Back
Top Bottom