Breed Recommendations for a newbie

bnew17

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2010
GEORGIA
Im planning on getting a few hens in the future but don't really know what breed to go with. I would like a brown egg layer. Breed must have a peaceful disposition (if thats possible to know?) because i have a 7 month old little girl who will at times when she grows older be around the hens. I would also prefer to have a breed who is a good layer. Im only interested in 2-3 birds as i just need eggs for myself and the wife. I talked to a man this weekend who has RIR's and Golden Comets and he prefers the Comets. He said they are a little friendlier. Ive also read good things about Buff Orpingtons.

First....any breed is always going to be better if you interact with them as chicks....meaning spend quality time with them....touch, talk, sing, feed, etc. etc. I will add as someone said earlier to teach a child the proper handling of a chick (but being your baby is only 7 months old...not a concern right now). Also, the rooster in most breeds is going to be the one that may show aggressiveness...because he sees himself as the protector of the hens. Some hens can be aggressive too....but we cull any aggressiveness here on my farm. Don't want to reproduce aggressiveness.

I would also recommend maybe getting an assortment of breeds....you can definitely tell them apart that way. I raise Orpingtons and they come in a large amount of colors....like a rainbow. All my Orpingtons are friendly. I have run across a couple of snooty roosters in my time...but for the most part they are very docile and gentle. They are very large though and they can eat a LOT! They are a very beautiful bird though and are extremely soft feathered.

I had a friend give me a Buff Laced Brahma for Xmas and then I bought a rooster and hen to keep her company. I must be honest and say....I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH SWEET BIRDS in my life. They never object to me picking them up and don't go crazy when you do (as in flapping their wings and clawing to get away and screaming like they are dieing....LOL). These birds have totally surprised me. They are large birds as well and come in almost as many colors as the Orpingtons....but I would even have to say they are sweeter than the Orpingtons. They lay a brown egg as well.

Both the Orpington and the Brahma start laying at around 8 months...but lay through the winter and lay for a long time and are dual purpose birds(eggs and meat).

NOTE WORDS OF WISDOM:
old.gif

Please teach you little girl NOT to put her face in the chickens face. Chickens see moving eyeballs as bugs! I learned this the HARD WAY! There is nothing that hurts any worse than that! They can put an eye out if not careful. And small children are just the right height for the chicken to peck! Just thought I'd throw that out there for future reference....LOL It's just so painful.....I don't want anybody else to go through what I went through!

There are a lot of breeds that are good egg producers and can be gentle and loving if you spend the time with them as babies and make them that way! It's like anything else....the more time you spend with an animal.....the more attached it is to you.

WISH YOU ALL THE LUCK IN PICKING YOUR FLOCK OF CHICKENS! THEY ARE SO MUCH FUN AND ADDICTIVE.. YOU'LL START OUT WITH 2 AND END UP WITH 12....LOL!
D.gif

hello,

I think Buff Orpingtons would make a great addition....I have a 2.5 year old...all the buffs love her! they are heavy breed, hardy birds for any weather, not vocal, and great layers! One of my buff orp. follows my daughter around in the yard....like a watch dog! lol
here is a pic.

buff orpingtons are great, as are: barred rocks, red sex-links, and welsummers.
buff orpingtons are probably the best.
I have one welsummer, two barred rocks, and one rir. the rir is REALLY skittish.
The barred rocks arent particularlay "friendly" but if i want i can put food by my feet and they will come and i can pick the up.

If i were in your position, I would get 2 orpingtons and one barred rock (i like to have variety for looks)

buff orpingtons are great, as are: barred rocks, red sex-links, and welsummers.
buff orpingtons are probably the best. 
I have one welsummer, two barred rocks, and one rir. the rir is REALLY skittish. 
The barred rocks arent particularlay "friendly" but if i want i can put food by my feet and they will come and i can pick the up.

If i were in your position, I would get 2 orpingtons and one barred rock (i like to have variety for looks)

I agree with stellasswag

Here are 3

Orpingtons: pros: Great dual purpose breed, Good pets. Cons: Mean to newbie (mine are, not with everybody) misc: Broody (can be good or bad, depending on your goals)

New Hampshires: pros: Fast maturing breed. Good layer and very good meat bird. Friendly. Cons: Have inherited some meanness from their ancient ancestor, the Rhode Island Red.

Australorps: pros: good meat bird, exceptional layer. Friendly to everybody, but still won't let every other chicken walk over it. cons: The longer I own it, the more I want to buy many more.

Back
Top Bottom