Breed Recommendations for a newbie

So many breed recommendations!

I'm going to just say all breeds can be nice, great laying, birds :D.

Poultry is awesome :D.

Last edited:
hello,

I think Buff Orpingtons would make a great addition....I have a 2.5 year old...all the buffs love her! they are heavy breed, hardy birds for any weather, not vocal, and great layers! One of my buff orp. follows my daughter around in the yard....like a watch dog! lol
here is a pic.

I read a lot of good reviews , but no one mentioned the Cochin they are very sweet and wonderful with children. We have one and she's runs right up to you so you can pet her - they're big chickens and lay brown eggs. I'm new my self at this chicken raising ...Bette (our Cochin) hasn't started laying yet ... but out of all the chickens I got this one is my fav... others we have are
speckled Sussex,, Golden Laced Wyon, and a silkie. happy with all we selected

I have about 20 different breeds with several birds of each breed and while the breed standard is good as a general rule, each bird is very much an individual. I have super friendly birds of each breed and more skittish birds of each breed even though all were raised the same way.
Bit in my flock my sweetest bird by far is my Speckled Sussex rooster. The Polishes are a close second followed by my Wyandottes and Dark Cornishes.

I have 7 different breeds. The sweetest are my Wyandottes, and my Welsummer. I have a Buff Orpington, but she is standoffish. I call the wyandottes my lap chickens. They are the first to come up for treats and love to ride around on my shoulder or sit in a chair with me. Very sweet chickens.

I have Rhode Island Reds, Black Australorps, Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, and Easter Eggers. Mine are young (21-22 weeks) but I am already getting 8 eggs per day out of the 12 pullets. One of our EE's is the friendliest, was among the first to lay, and layed a beautiful blue egg five of the past six days. I would have to say that EE is my favorite. The other EE hasn't laid yet. The other breeds are all laying brown eggs that are getting bigger every day. Some say the RIR's are mean but they are not in my flock, in fact one of the RIR's gets pecked more than any of the other birds. The BA's, BO's, and the one EE enjoy being handled the most. Our other EE is skittish. Our BO rooster dominates the whole flock but has not dared to attack a human yet! All of these breeds seem very good so far. After reading these posts, I am glad we have four BA's! Thinking about adding RSL's or Leghorns to the flock next year.

Im planning on getting a few hens in the future but don't really know what breed to go with. I would like a brown egg layer. Breed must have a peaceful disposition (if thats possible to know?) because i have a 7 month old little girl who will at times when she grows older be around the hens. I would also prefer to have a breed who is a good layer. Im only interested in 2-3 birds as i just need eggs for myself and the wife. I talked to a man this weekend who has RIR's and Golden Comets and he prefers the Comets. He said they are a little friendlier. Ive also read good things about Buff Orpingtons.
Orps Are great. Only issue is, they will go broody every so often. But My Orp Marianne is the friendliest of the flock!

After too many years as a consultant...my answer is "it depends".

Things to consider when looking at breed characteristics:
Are they going to be free ranging or in a run?
Is it very cold in the winter or very hot in the summer in your area?
Are your neighbors close (noise is to be considered)
Are you going to hatch any and need a broody hen or is this for egg production only?

After answering all of those questions I decided on a mixed flock of calm, non broody and cold tolerant girls. We are very happy with one each black Australorp, barred rock, buckeye, golden orp (she is a bit pushy), welsummer, golden laced wyandotte and a Dominique (she was my meyer meal maker).

As a newbie I suggest girls that you won't worry about in the extreme weather (I have to worry about cold winters) and they are in a run during daylight.

All catalogs will give you the characteristics that you need - then just start looking and making a list!

GOOD LUCK

I have 3 buff o's and a RIR and they are the sweetest and lay enough for me to have a couple of eggs for breakfast every morning and one for the pup. I can save them up for baking on the weekends.

Back
Top Bottom