Breed Recommendations for a newbie

After researching breeds earlier this year, it was a toss up between Wyandottes & Orpingtons. Both were reputed to be docile,friendly, good layers, etc, etc. Went with Wyandottes, 2 gold & 2 silver because they were supposed to lay a few more eggs, lay through the winter & be able to take a fair amount of heat. They're coming up on 20 weeks have survived 110 F temps, no eggs yet. They are very nice looking birds, very curious & nosy, fairly quiet & more than willing to take treats by hand just don't try to touch them. The lengths to which they'll go to avoid being touched is rather amusing, you might think they're not watching... but one of them is watching for that hand & will warn the others.
tongue.png
They're really pretty quick. This being our first time with chickens we have no basis for comparison but I think if we had to replace them all tomorrow, I might go with Orpingtons. They are however spoiled brats & we plan to have them around for many years.

Personally I'm really liking the speckled sussex I got this year. They are pretty friendly, much more so than any I have had. They don't lay brown eggs though.

Personally I'm really liking the speckled sussex I got this year. They are pretty friendly, much more so than any I have had. They don't lay brown eggs though.
Thats odd. From what information I can find, Sussex lay either creamy or pale brown colored eggs. Are you sure yours are Sussex?

Yep, get a variety :)

I have 7 chicks right now ... 2 Silkies (one is bantam), 2 D'uccles and 3 buff Orpingtons. By far, the orpingtons are the most docile. The LOVE to be picked up and loved on! :)

I have 4 Orpies and 2 Barred Rocks that are laying as of a month ago. My Orpies lay almost every day and have the sweetest personalities. My Barred Rocks are more skittish and so far don't lay as often. I am hoping that will change soon. I did also get 3 Wyandottes but they all ended up being roos and are now in freezer camp. I have some younger Ameraucana's that have quite the unique personalities and can't wait until I get bluish green eggs. They tend to test my patience but they are very affectionate when they want to. Hopefully they will settle down more as they get older.

Last edited:
My barred rocks and white rocks are great with my 3 year old boy. He chases them and they stop and let him pet them. My white leghorns are skittish and my Easter Eggers just don't care.

My golden comets are nice enough, lay big eggs every day. But my Black Australorps are the pretty, quiet, sweet ones that take the cake. Smaller eggs bust just as many, beautiful birds. Really pretty, sweet hens. I love my BAs.

Back
Top Bottom