Breed Recommendations for a newbie

I love Partridge Rocks, and Orpingtons both are sweet, and the partridge rocks lay fairly consistent. I don't personally know how the Orpies lay because mine are only twelve weeks old.

I did not read all of the posts, but I am a newbie too. I was given some and I personally bought some. There is a huge difference in the temperament of the ones I had been given. The ones that I took care of, fed, watered, and handled will come right to me and are very gentle. The ones that were given to me after someone had not taken good care of them are skittish and flighty. I say pick the breed that you want to look at. Treat them right from the beginning and interact with them. Mine come to greet me and will eat from my hand and love to have me pet them. Nurture definitely won over.

We have small children and all my chickens will come and feed from our hands. They come running to me in the mornings hoping I have a treat. So I agree with the above post that raising your own and bonding with them at a young age is key to any breed. That being said for brown eggs like the original question asked our black sex links are the sweetest. And the iridescent black to green feathers are really pretty. Our New Hampshire red is a bit shyer but still lets us hand feed her.

when i decided to get chicks, i thought i wanted white leghorns. when i called around for local availability, i was told several times to try buff orpingtons. got four...they are great chickens...come when called. they don't like to be picked up, but once you have them in your lap, they love to be stroked. only 3 months old...so have a lot to learn.

We have small children and all my chickens will come and feed from our hands. They come running to me in the mornings hoping I have a treat. So I agree with the above post that raising your own and bonding with them at a young age is key to any breed. That being said for brown eggs like the original question asked our black sex links are the sweetest. And the iridescent black to green feathers are really pretty. Our New Hampshire red is a bit shyer but still lets us hand feed her.

x2 on the black sex links.

Buff Orpingtons definitely are friendlier and more docile personalities than White Leghorns. None of my Buff Orpingtons have ever been aggressive or flighty.

If you are able to deal with very active (not flighty or panicky) hilariously funny chickens that seem to have a group "hive mind" - try Dominiques. Our Unite Clown (Clown Unit) at the Cirque des Poulets provides hours and hours of entertainment while roaring around the yard and vigorously foraging. The one drawback is that they will peck your pants legs for attention, which can frighten small children. They are always very busy with big biddy business, which includes following you around and seeing if what you are doing might result in tasty rewards for them. Digging in the garden with a trowel can become a two-handed job - one hand to dig, and the other to keep the biddy clear of the blade while you're digging.

We have only had these for a week and already follow my 3 year old around. they come running over as soon as they see or hear us and will happily feed from my little girls hand.

Only thing is, they have a heavy peck, not viscious, just heavy, but if my usually very wimpy girl can handle it, anyone can! K

I have a Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, Australorp, Ameraucana, Red Sex-Link, and a Silver Laced Wyandotte.

Buff Orpington- Super Sweet, Doesnt like to be held but she loves to sit on my knee and hang out while I pet her. Usually leading to a cute little chicken nap. I highly recommend

Barred Rock- Super Curious. Fun to watch. She is the smallest of my flock and so she is the most skittish. I like the breed but my experience is that they are kind of standoffish. Again that could be because of her size though.

Australorp- Talk about adventurous. She is the first to do anything. She is my buddy and although she doesn't like to be held as much she ALWAYS is the first to come up and sit by me and get pets. Again leading to chicken nap. Highly Recommend

Red Sex-Link: Not very skittish but she doesn't like to be held or touched. When I am around she will hang out around me with the other chickens but if you go to touch her she doesn't want anything to do with it. She also really doesn't like treats. Not even Mealworms, which blows my mind since anytime I give them to the other chickens they just lose it.

Ameraucana- I got a Roo so I don't think his behavior reflects the breed very well. I have heard a lot of great things about the hens but Skittles is the most standoffish, flighty chicken that I have. Sadly I must get rid of him, but I am going to try and get another hen in the future.

Silver-Laced Wyandotte- I can not express enough how much I love this chicken and this breed. She is my pal. She runs up to me anytime I am around, and when I sit down she will jump onto the bench and from the bench to my shoulder. Where she settles down and makes the most adorable chicken purr sound. Yes you must beware of the all tempting eyelashes she sometimes goes for and poo is always something to ware of but man the cuteness outweighs both those things. She is a such a sweet chicken and she loves to be held truly by anyone. Highly Highly Recommend.

I don't have much experience but I have heard and await to experience myself, that a lot of times the sweeter more social breeds are also frequently broody ie Buffs, Australorps, Wyandottes. I have studied up extensively on how to handle broody chickens and so I wouldn't let the idea of a broody hen scare you away from a breed. Just be aware that it is a possibility and be ready.

I have also made a concentrated effort to socialize my chickens since I first got them from the hatchery. Lots of love and exposure to people. They are more like pets to me and so I wanted to make sure they were comfortable around people. I had a grandfather with a farm and I remember running in fear when ever I saw the chickens because they were M.E.A.N. With those pleasant memories in the back of my mind I did all that I could "with in reason" to socialize my chickens. And so far it seems to have paid off!

From one newbie to another good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom