Breed Recommendations for a newbie

Same thing
BTW whats the difference between RSL (Red Sex Linked), Golden Comet, Star and ISA Brown? Mine were sold to me as ISA Brown, however I don't see any visual differences between the four of these breeds.

Same thing just called different names by different breeders. All are a red male over a white/silver female.

My Golden Comets are fantastic. They love attention and let me pet them and ALWAYS follow me and run up to me for food and treats. If they peck at all, I just tap their combs and the behavior stops. They're definitely lap chickens! They started laying eggs very early.. I have four, only one or two of them are laying and I get at least an egg a day already. Nice brown eggs- small at first but they're slowly increasing in size. They all look different because of the feather variations too so that's awesome.

From left to right: Nettle, Teasel, Mallow, Olive. I can pick up Teasel with one hand and she doesn't even care. Olive jumps on my hand on command and likes to roost on me. Nettle likes her waddles and chin stroked- as well as Mallow.

I have an Easter Egger (very back right), Lotus, and she is very skittish but that's just her personality I think. The black Australorp, Laurel, is very sweet and snuggly, She loves cuddles and she is the softest chicken I have EVER felt! Berzillia, the Barred Rock, is pretty skittish but that's probably because Lotus picks on her. :( (Thankfully not enough to bleed or anything... knock on wood.) All of them will lay brown eggs, except Lotus I think. I'm hoping for blue eggs with her!

I love my black and blue orps. So sweet and even my cockerels are nice.

This is my first year with chickens and I am loving it! I have twelve, 4 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Easter Eggers, 1 Amauracana, 2 Spec. Sussex, and 2 Delaware. All will hop up on my lap when I am sitting in their coop, except the Delawares... They still won't jump up on things even to roost... They are 11/12 weeks and aren't laying yet. If I had to pick just 3, I would pick Buff, Spec. Sussex, and Easter Egger, (for the colored egg factor). Although I've heard good things about Silver Laced Wyandottes also... Have fun choosing! :)

Black Australorps! Mine were lap babies right from the start. They follow me around like drooling puppies and love the attention.

Here they were about 2 1/2 months old and were already lap trained.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom