Breed & Sex

sethpeters

Hatching
Jan 2, 2017
Atlanta, IN
Please assist me with the breed and sex of the chickens in the pics below. I purchased them from Murray McMurray as part of the "Choice Layers" package and they are 10 weeks old. These are my first chickens.

What breed are these?

(the one in the center of the picture)
(the one in the center of the picture)
(the one in the front of the picture)

Also, I'm guessing the Barred Rock in the picture below is a rooster?

The rest I'm pretty sure of. Here's a pic of all of them roosting that makes me laugh...

The Barred Rock is not a Barred Rock, but a Cuckoo Marans, and definitely male. The unknown birds are Easter Eggers and a Brown Leghorn or Welsummer (you'll have to wait and see what color earlobes develop).

Agree with the rest.

I'm seeing a touch of salmon in that chest which leads me to believe you may have a Wellie vs. a Brown Leghorn. If so, that salmon chest will deepen and the red earlobes develop.

LofMc

Morning!

Yep, the barred bird is a Marans pullet. The cuckoo variety (same as barred) isn't known to lay as dark of an egg as the black coppers, but it will hopefully be darker than the rest of your flock. Unless that one bird is a Welsummer, then they should be about the same, but different shades.

And that EE does look like a pullet in this pic--I'm glad! One Oops cockerel is enough
roll.png

The white bird could be a Rock, could be a Leghorn. Leghorns are slim, upright birds. Rocks are heavier and blockier. Leghorns get white earlobes, Rocks have red/brown.

Other than that, you look correct for the breeds. The last one is probably a generic production red, often sold by hatcheries as a Rhode Island Red. And everyone else looks female, besides the one cuckoo Marans cockerel.

What a nice diversity in your order! When I see these, I want to order some......

1, 2 and 4 are Easter eggers. I'm getting a roo-vibe from number 2. Can you get a comb shot?

3 is either a brown Leghorn or a Welsummer. They're pretty identical (a Welsummer should be heavier bodied, but as juveniles it's hard to tell, especially with only one bird) until the earlobes develop. Leghorns have white earlobes and will lay white eggs. Wellies have red earlobes and will lay dark brown eggs.

The barred bird is actually a cuckoo Marans, and a cockerel. The giveaway is the white skin (legs). Rocks are a yellow skinned bird.

All,
The one bird I thought I knew for sure (Barred Rock) is actually a Cuckoo Marans. Thank you everyone! So does that mean this is a Cuckoo Marans pullet?

I'll keep an eye on the Brown Leghorn or Welsummer.

donrae,
Does this picture help?

Back
Top Bottom