Breed suggestions for docile roosters?

Pics
Thank you all for the advice and suggestions. I'm planning on getting a half-dozen chicks at the end of April, and I suppose that will be the test of whether I've had bad luck with a couple of roosters or I'm doing something wrong in my rooster raising. :jumpy In the future I would like to be able to get them from rehoming, but I think I'm just too ignorant about communicable chicken diseases so far. So much to learn!

Thank you! Wyandottes are such lovely birds, too. Although I got a new one this year and she doesn't want to be at the bottom of the pecking order, so she's terrorizing my poor legbar! I feel so bad for that bird, I think she's too dumb to cope with having a bully.

I haven't tried Orpingtons yet because they tend to be listed as not heat tolerant, and it gets very hot and dry out in the Colorado sun. But my run has a lot of shade and water, and those temperatures don't last overnight, so...yes. Just realized I'm thinking out loud. I bet an Orpington would be all right out here.
I live in Texas and have a huge Blue Orp and she does just fine with the heat ;)

This is ONLY from my own experience…. the most docile and truly wonderful roosters I’ve been fortunate enough to have over the years happened to be Easter Egger, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, and Araucana. Amazing and gentle. They were from my hatches, so that COULD have something to do with it (knowing that their parents were docile/semi-docile as well). I hope you find your own wonderful rooster. Good Wishes!

My red phoenix's from cackle have been the best roo's I've had so far. Bielefelder, red gold and silver phoenix's, Liege fighters, splash laced wyandotte and cream legbar. The last 2 are just getting into annoying teenage faze. None have been aggressive to people. Bielefelder's have been the most aggressive to the ladies. Silver Phoenix's were the most skittish and the gold phoenix's were right in the middle of the silver and red's. I ended up with 2 Red Phoenix roosters and 1 hen. I was impressed that they both worked as a team protecting red girl from all of the other aggressive roo's the same age. They literally stayed one on ether side of her everywhere in the yard. Even when they mounted her they were polite 😂 if she squawks they stopped, if she was quit he would finish. Never thought a rooster would be so civilized lol
Curious as to the roo to hen ratio. I am trying the bielefelder roo with 8 hens.

My silkie Roos are the sweetest. Ricky is 2+ years and he’s the one that will sit on eggs. All 4 of my roosters get along mostly and cuddle together at night. 3 of the 4 were raised together and they’re not quite a year old so that might have something to do with it. I’m sad I’ll have to rehome 2 in the spring cause I can’t have 4 roosters to 7 hens, my poor girls would be exhausted.

So, my last two years of chickenkeeping have mostly just been rooster trouble. I currently have a flock of...I think 8 two-year-old hens and 2 pullets. Last year's girls grew up with a Dominique cockerel who was an absolute nightmare and ended up being my first cull earlier this year. This year's girls had a surprise easter egger cockerel who I culled at maybe 4 or 5 months because he was terrorizing my flightiest hen and got increasingly human-aggressive. I want to grow toward keeping a sustainable flock, so I am trying to to figure out the surest way to end up with a rooster who is not abusive to hens or humans, and who will (hopefully) protect from aerial predators.

I've read in a couple of places that having a male chick grow up among adult hens is good, because they don't allow him to run roughshod over them, and indeed, the one hen I had from the previous year was the only girl who my awful Dominique didn't wear the feathers off of. My bright idea for next year is to get a half-dozen male chicks and keep only one to two who are well-behaved. But here are my questions before I move forward:

First, do you think the girls that grew up with that nasty rooster will be tough enough with new cockerels? They certainly boss the new hens around for the most part, but they weren't keeping this year's cockerel in check.
Second, any breed recommendations for a clean-footed, ideally nonwhite and non-crested rooster with a reputation for not being a terror? I was leaning toward Speckled Sussex, possibly Dorking, possibly easter egger, but I'm really curious to hear from others with more experience. I would also consider buying from a particular hatchery known to produce good roos.

I truly appreciate all the insight I always get when I come to BYC with questions, and I'm looking forward to any responses. :p Let me know if you're doing any chick purchasing for next year too!
Hi, I have raised quite a few different breeds, Americana, BLRW, SS, Cochin, Black Australorp, Brahma and Salmon Faverolle. The 3 latter being my absolute favorites as far as temperament and the Australorp is the very best egg layer.
I live in Northern Michigan and those wonderful girls lay an egg an day even when it is below zero.
The friendliest roosters have been the Brahman and the Salmon Faverolles.
My Salmon Faverolle roo was also the quietest roo I ever had, and he was kind to his ladies.
I want to pitch my cochin roo and get another SF 🥰

Hi, I have raised quite a few different breeds, Americana, BLRW, SS, Cochin, Black Australorp, Brahma and Salmon Faverolle. The 3 latter being my absolute favorites as far as temperament and the Australorp is the very best egg layer.
I live in Northern Michigan and those wonderful girls lay an egg an day even when it is below zero.
The friendliest roosters have been the Brahma and the Salmon Faverolles.
My Salmon Faverolle roo was also the quietest roo I ever had, and he was kind to his ladies.
I want to pitch my cochin roo and get another SF 🥰
Ugh schedule changed it....I typed Brahma.

Back
Top Bottom