Breed suggestions for my preferences...

Beccazon

Crowing
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan Thumb
I have been researching heritage breeds and various statuses of endangered breeds. Now that I have my first flock "figured out", I have learned what I want, what I appreciate, what I prefer not to deal with and what I don't need.

I know I want breeds that are winter/cold tolerant.
I know I want birds that lay better in winter than others.
I know I want dual purpose meat/egg birds but with focus on eggs.
I know I do not want flighty, ornery or aggressive breeds.
I know I need birds that can do well confined as need be even though mine have free-will free range all day. (Winter weather and winter predators may force me to confine the flock more regularly in snow months).

I have several breeds in mind but would like to hear from the group about breeds you have/like that meet those criteria. I know an individual bird or two here and there don't meet the breed "descriptions" offered online etc. There are always non-conformers lol.

I am looking for suggestions from those who have kept many of a breed or many over time and have a suggestion based on a larger population than just "I have one Campine I love". Lol

Brahmas are cold hardy, dual purpose, very friendly, tame and good winter layers.
B726C41E-6207-415C-B701-AEBC60BA5FAD.jpeg

I breed them

Have you considered Buckeyes ?
X2
I have dozens!

Buckeyes are hardy due to pea combs, have fast growth and clean legs. Very low maintenance. (They do take ages to grow if you pick hatchery birds though.)
They’re more of a meat breed but I’ve known them to be fine egg layers of large eggs, late into the winter.
They are excellent on free range conditions but I do have to confine them sometimes for the winter, due to Wisconsin weather, and they will do that too, unless caged by themselves, where they tend to pace.
They also have an excellent temperament. Regal, respectful roosters and curious, docile hens. Thrifty birds with the occasional broody.
I don’t personally own them, but Chanteclers are another option.

X2
I have dozens!

Buckeyes are hardy due to pea combs, have fast growth and clean legs. Very low maintenance. (They do take ages to grow if you pick hatchery birds though.)
They’re more of a meat breed but I’ve known them to be fine egg layers of large eggs, late into the winter.
They are excellent on free range conditions but I do have to confine them sometimes for the winter, due to Wisconsin weather, and they will do that too, unless caged by themselves, where they tend to pace.
They also have an excellent temperament. Regal, respectful roosters and curious, docile hens. Thrifty birds with the occasional broody.
I don’t personally own them, but Chanteclers are another option.
Great info! Thank you! I would certainly like a decent rooster now that I have disposed of my beautiful Pride. I am so over production birds! I am definitely looking to add heritage breeds and from breeders! I have heard good about Chanteclers too. But I know no one personally who keeps any :/

I second the vote for Brahmas. Our original flock started with two of them, and they are great. Very cold-hardy with sweet dispositions, and decent egg layers. Another suggestion I would like to make is Australorps. They also fit those categories, plus they are "eggcellent" egg layers! Seriously. They lay LOTS of eggs!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom