Breeder Pen Designs *Inspire Me*.

We are going to be rebuilding our coop to accomodate breeder couples as we have just picked up a breeder pair of Phoenix for 4H. I will post some pictures of before and after. We definately appreciate suggestions.

Oh hay all.
Sorry, I thought this thread had died so I let it go.

I began just building my own pens a week or so ago as I couldn't find anything that suited my situation.

Here is the initial structural frame.

First back and floor on.

I used treated wood panels with gaps between each for ventilation.

Both backs and floors on.

Currently I have got both backs, floors and sides on with some roofing. More pictures to follow soon.

pop.gif

caf.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/594825/my-new-breeding-pens

Wouldn't paste as a link, but it's a great thread by DMRippy about her breeding pens.

I've also been looking for posts on breeding pens. I have a project I'm wanting to start this year and just got the medical OK yesterday!

I plan to have 2 breeding groups, and will need grow-out pens also. Honey and I brainstormed most of our 4 hour drive home yesterday, still looking for ideas here.

I have a couple of pens I built years ago to raise chickens with my kids but they have been empty for 10 plus years. But grand kids motivated me to start up again and thinking I'd like to add 3 more units so I am real interested in other's ideas.

I was thinking each pen would be attached to a runway. But do other folks sick their pairs into smaller during breeding and then back into a larger place? I can not let them free range because of dogs. And if you move them into a breeding pen, doesn't the hen stop laying for several weeks?

Last edited:
I am going to be building some here in the next few months waiting for snow to stop. Of course here in michgan that might be in june this year. Will add pictures as soon as i begin build. So hope to see some ideas before i begin my build.

Those were what i am going to build. Just got to source some pallets. Probably only do five though. That was a great thread. Might do a tad bit longer runs. Might chang e where they placed the nest by puting closer to door. Good to chew on for a month while i plot.

I tried incorporating pallets into our breeder pens as there are heaps at a factory down the road from us, but we just found that they kept splitting and we would of had to have painted them all with sump oil etc.

I have some fences i built out of pallets two years ago. Painted them with some exterior behr barn and fence paint. They have held up well. Might be the kind of pallet too the ones i used were made from hard wood and not pine. I think if i can get some pallets like those it should be finr.

Back
Top Bottom