Breeding a CLB with pea or rose comb?

Minky

Crowing
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
I live in Canada. I love my EE Love the puffy cheeks and beards.
I have marans, CLB and Lav orpington which sadly all have big combs. Despite a heat lamp over my roosters at night they are still getting some frostbite.
Could I easily breed a line with pea combs?

Many of my EE lay blue (not green) and when I beed with my CLB rooster they seem to auto sex with the head spot for males. Could I use these EE somehow to breed a line of Marans and CLB with the pea or rose comb, and how would I do this?

OhZark Biddies

Crossing the Road
Apr 13, 2018
I live in Canada. I love my EE Love the puffy cheeks and beards.
I have marans, CLB and Lav orpington which sadly all have big combs. Despite a heat lamp over my roosters at night they are still getting some frostbite.
Could I easily breed a line with pea combs?

Many of my EE lay blue (not green) and when I beed with my CLB rooster they seem to auto sex with the head spot for males. Could I use these EE somehow to breed a line of Marans and CLB with the pea or rose comb, and how would I do this?

If you’re not looking to sell them or show them, then you can easily cross the pea combed EEs with a straight comb bird and expect to get all pea combed offspring... then just keep selecting for pea combs over the next generations

I have a CLB rooster I’m planning to cross with my homemade EEs as well.

Here’s a comb calculator you can mess around with as well:
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingFlex2.html?DATA=S;Comb calculator;Chicken;F;PICS/;JPG;,G;R;Rosecomb;;;,A;R;R;;Rosecomb;D;;;,A;R;r+;;non-rosecomb;R;;W;,G;P;Peacomb;;;,A;P;P;;Peacomb;D;;;,A;P;p+;;non-peacomb;R;;W;,C;RP;Rosecomb;Peacomb;Walnutcomb;;;,C;RP;non-rosecomb;non-peacomb;Single comb;;;,C;RM;non-rosecomb;;;;;,C;RM;non-peacomb;;;;;,C;NVL;;;Single comb;;;

OhZark Biddies

Crossing the Road
Apr 13, 2018
I meant to also say, that if you’re looking to truly create peacombed lines of Marans or Orps that breed true... it’ll take a great deal more effort, and using Wyandotte’s might be a better choice to get the comb introduced...

But for just making some nice mixes for the barnyard your EEs would work just fine

Minky

Crowing
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
Aren't cream legbars autosexing? I knowingtroducing a breed to them will destroy that feature
well its only a feature if I only breed a flock of CLB which I am not doing. I think CLB aren't very attractive personally... I just like the blue eggs, and yes, the auto sexing is great but I seem to be getting that feature using my EE mixes with him. (they are part CLB in there )

Minky

Crowing
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
I meant to also say, that if you’re looking to truly create peacombed lines of Marans or Orps that breed true... it’ll take a great deal more effort, and using Wyandotte’s might be a better choice to get the pea comb introduced...

But for just making some nice mixes for the barnyard your EEs would work just fine
how does that comb calculator work- why are there two choices for each parent?

OhZark Biddies

Crossing the Road
Apr 13, 2018
Set it like this for an EE hen
AA5BE66E-C651-4591-A65E-2B78B27B074A.jpeg

Minky

Crowing
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
but my female hens don't look like that. they have really tight pea combs not the floppy ugly kind. Should I just ignore the drawing?
Does that mean pea comb is related to a single comb?

so confused

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
Premium Feather Member
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
From what I know, peacombs are dominant over single combs, and the blue egg gene is dominant. So if you crossed a CLB with an EE, you'd get something with a pea comb that would probably lay blue eggs. Might have muffs and/or beard as well. Autosexing might not work, however.

Top Bottom