Breeding a CLB with pea or rose comb?

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
I live in Canada. I love my EE Love the puffy cheeks and beards.
I have marans, CLB and Lav orpington which sadly all have big combs. Despite a heat lamp over my roosters at night they are still getting some frostbite.
Could I easily breed a line with pea combs?

Many of my EE lay blue (not green) and when I beed with my CLB rooster they seem to auto sex with the head spot for males. Could I use these EE somehow to breed a line of Marans and CLB with the pea or rose comb, and how would I do this?

I live in Canada. I love my EE Love the puffy cheeks and beards.
I have marans, CLB and Lav orpington which sadly all have big combs. Despite a heat lamp over my roosters at night they are still getting some frostbite.
Could I easily breed a line with pea combs?

Many of my EE lay blue (not green) and when I beed with my CLB rooster they seem to auto sex with the head spot for males. Could I use these EE somehow to breed a line of Marans and CLB with the pea or rose comb, and how would I do this?

If you’re not looking to sell them or show them, then you can easily cross the pea combed EEs with a straight comb bird and expect to get all pea combed offspring... then just keep selecting for pea combs over the next generations

I have a CLB rooster I’m planning to cross with my homemade EEs as well.

Here’s a comb calculator you can mess around with as well:
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingFlex2.html?DATA=S;Comb calculator;Chicken;F;PICS/;JPG;,G;R;Rosecomb;;;,A;R;R;;Rosecomb;D;;;,A;R;r+;;non-rosecomb;R;;W;,G;P;Peacomb;;;,A;P;P;;Peacomb;D;;;,A;P;p+;;non-peacomb;R;;W;,C;RP;Rosecomb;Peacomb;Walnutcomb;;;,C;RP;non-rosecomb;non-peacomb;Single comb;;;,C;RM;non-rosecomb;;;;;,C;RM;non-peacomb;;;;;,C;NVL;;;Single comb;;;

I meant to also say, that if you’re looking to truly create peacombed lines of Marans or Orps that breed true... it’ll take a great deal more effort, and using Wyandotte’s might be a better choice to get the comb introduced...

But for just making some nice mixes for the barnyard your EEs would work just fine

Aren't cream legbars autosexing? I knowingtroducing a breed to them will destroy that feature
well its only a feature if I only breed a flock of CLB which I am not doing. I think CLB aren't very attractive personally... I just like the blue eggs, and yes, the auto sexing is great but I seem to be getting that feature using my EE mixes with him. (they are part CLB in there )

I meant to also say, that if you’re looking to truly create peacombed lines of Marans or Orps that breed true... it’ll take a great deal more effort, and using Wyandotte’s might be a better choice to get the pea comb introduced...

But for just making some nice mixes for the barnyard your EEs would work just fine
how does that comb calculator work- why are there two choices for each parent?

Set it like this for an EE hen
AA5BE66E-C651-4591-A65E-2B78B27B074A.jpeg

but my female hens don't look like that. they have really tight pea combs not the floppy ugly kind. Should I just ignore the drawing?
Does that mean pea comb is related to a single comb?

so confused

From what I know, peacombs are dominant over single combs, and the blue egg gene is dominant. So if you crossed a CLB with an EE, you'd get something with a pea comb that would probably lay blue eggs. Might have muffs and/or beard as well. Autosexing might not work, however.

Back
Top Bottom