Breeding Aseels

In my area the standard for pure Aseel for example rampuri is for them to have tails which are downwards or straight not upwards. I can see that your hens tail is facing upward, in your area is there a different standard?
The hen is only 7/8 Rampuri. Both represent working rather than show stock. My hope is at least some of the offspring will favor the stags appearance. I will take the offspring in for show with students doing the actual showing. Goal is for students to learn how to show.

When I look at videos out of Pakistan / India, the birds are not as consistent in their looks as show stocks in the west.

I can rig up 4 brooders quickly, running only two now. Another option I use for American Games is to place a cock or stag in with chicks to suppress. My American Games also go battle mode with leathal effects not watched. Older male moderates the problem well with them. I have had to employ approach with chicks as young as three weeks, but usually it starts at about 5 weeks.
How do you introduce your male/rooster to your chicks. I have my hen hatch chicks in my breeding pen with my rooster in the pen so when the chicks hatch, the rooster, the hen and the chicks bond together.

The hen is only 7/8 Rampuri. Both represent working rather than show stock. My hope is at least some of the offspring will favor the stags appearance. I will take the offspring in for show with students doing the actual showing. Goal is for students to learn how to show.

When I look at videos out of Pakistan / India, the birds are not as consistent in their looks as show stocks in the west.
Here in Pakistan in my opinion above 95% of the Aseels are cross breeds that’s why they are not consistent. Most of the people who have pure breeds in Pakistan you will not find them online/ on the internet.

How do you introduce your male/rooster to your chicks. I have my hen hatch chicks in my breeding pen with my rooster in the pen so when the chicks hatch, the rooster, the hen and the chicks bond together.
I am a novice with Aseel, so do not know what I can get away with.

With American Games I can use multiple approaches.

Free-range around house with only one or two hens, harem master introduces himself where he can exhibit a range of broodiness himself. Only one hen increases broodiness / parental investment. In free-range barnyard setting with multiple hens the harem master imprints (bonds) on chicks so as not to attack them later, but he generally only interacts with them after that if there is a raptor issue or they get into conflict with birds not belonging to his harem.

Confined to cock pens, hens bring broods up to males where most act favorable with chicks, especially later in the season.

With brooder use of cocks / stags, I add older males to a group of chicks or juveniles and watch closely for about 15 minutes. I used to use only cocks for that, but have since learned that stags only a month older than trouble makers can provide desired effect of moderating social discord.

What do you mean by working stock
Fighting stock.

Videos I see showing some form of husbandry have a cock in with a single broody hen and her chicks. Chick number is comparatively low, usually around four. Confines also a lot tighter than I can get away for American Games.

Last edited:
Yes I have seen many working stock Aseels in Pakistan. The rooster I have is from a working line his grandfather had fought and won 6 times at lest that’s what the breeder I got him from said(I don’t encourage cock fighting or any other time of blood sport, I discourage it)
Are you able to see how they keep the birds, particularly in terms of nutrition and housing? Based upon what I can see on the internet, they are kept under much more tightly managed conditions even during the juvenile stage. Opinions on their keep in the US are not consistent. They mature slow, like my strain of American Games. They are also smart in some ways, and not smart in other ways. They take cold better than I thought, but are not as frugal with feed when temperatures drop. They are slow, but have good endurance. Selection on them has been intense to promote the odd posture and feathering which has multiple loci involved as grades into American Games are obvious even after four generations.

Hey guys my mixed Orientals are Aseel cross I am thinking I just might have lucked out from the horrible hatch with a pullet and a cockerel (cross fingers guys). The largest chick is 50%Thai and Aseel... the littler one I do not know the mix because the incubator malfunction required me to get it out and I was dumb and did not mark down the code on the shell... could be Shamo Aseel, Thai Aseel, or Brazilian Aseel.

I understand these guys are going to need a lower protein diet than my longtails... to prevent leg issues?

5387F781-2DE1-47B8-8D7E-BF5273F730A5.jpeg
89CF46FB-0177-4054-A3B7-D3BC2ACBCA7D.jpeg
EF2507AF-0059-4C59-8485-8CAE0447F407.jpeg

I am going to build a special pen for these two, because they are game and the only two I have but also because... I am very worried my oldest laying hen will kill the one we think is a cockerel if I let them free range or have yard exercise. She has killed 4 cocks... we are going to construct a pen just for her as well to protect any future roosters amongst the utility flock. So now every bird I think might mature into a rooster of any breed can not be near her... she does not kill pullets or hens just males. That’s miss attitude ‘Princess Leia“ on my shoulder... I guess if I want to breed her it will be AI.

3C2695B2-EE42-4979-ACE3-D1E8435F2FD0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom