Breeding Blue Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by joshbparker, Jan 3, 2015.

1. joshbparker

joshbparker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Winton, North Carolina
    if you do a cross of blue over blue what can you outcomes be? (Ameraucanas)

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    My guess would be BLUE , That is if you have pure breed chickens. If you have mutts , like most of my chicken stock, then who knows what will come out. Genetics is very interesting. Look at people that both parents have, lets say dark hair, and lil junior comes out blond?????? Well,maybe there was some hanki panki, I can assure you there is plenty of hanki panki going on in chicken flocks. But on the serious side, you will get most of your
    offspring looking like their parents.

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    [​IMG]

This chart works for Ameraucanas and others, hope this helps!

1 person likes this.
  4. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    So should be 50% Blue, 25% Black and 25% Splash. Blue is one of the colors that doesn't breed true.

5. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Thanks for this chart. I was almost right that most would be like ma n pa. half will be blue and the rest should be considered orphan status.

6. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

lol At least they are still considered purebred when these colors are bred together, so any unwanted colors can be advertised as such and still be true. Ameraucanas are strict on their color separation. Breed a wheaton color to any of the solids and all offspring are technically 'mutts' or relegated to Easter Egger status. The Blue/Black/Splash or BBS gives more options when breeding. Took me a while to figure this all out, lol.

7. bensteph821

bensteph821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Easton Pennsylvania
    Hi! Can someone tell me a little bit more about anything other than the blue/black and splashes. I cant seem to find a chart for all other colors...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by