Breeding Blue Ameraucanas

My guess would be BLUE , That is if you have pure breed chickens. If you have mutts , like most of my chicken stock, then who knows what will come out. Genetics is very interesting. Look at people that both parents have, lets say dark hair, and lil junior comes out blond?????? Well,maybe there was some hanki panki, I can assure you there is plenty of hanki panki going on in chicken flocks. But on the serious side, you will get most of your
offspring looking like their parents.

This chart works for Ameraucanas and others, hope this helps!

Thanks for this chart.  I was almost right that most would be like ma n pa.   half will be blue and the rest should be considered orphan status.

lol At least they are still considered purebred when these colors are bred together, so any unwanted colors can be advertised as such and still be true. Ameraucanas are strict on their color separation. Breed a wheaton color to any of the solids and all offspring are technically 'mutts' or relegated to Easter Egger status. The Blue/Black/Splash or BBS gives more options when breeding. Took me a while to figure this all out, lol.

So should be 50% Blue, 25% Black and 25% Splash. Blue is one of the colors that doesn't breed true.
I'm confused; why do you say Blue is one of the colors that doesn't breed true? If this was the case wouldn't that mean a splash would have black or blue leakage? Doesn't breed true mean offspring would either be splash, blue, or black w/o leakage?

I'm confused; why do you say Blue is one of the colors that doesn't breed true? If this was the case wouldn't that mean a splash would have black or blue leakage? Doesn't breed true mean offspring would either be splash, blue, or black w/o leakage?

I don't know blue genetics, so I can't offer an opinion, but this thread is 5 years old. You may not get a response. I'd suggest starting a thread to as your question.

Back
Top Bottom