Breeding cage for large breed chickens

loprettaerin

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Lonedell, Missouri
This may be a silly question but have not seen any real threads on this. Im looking for some ideas and any insite as to wither anyone has tried this and if the animals were ok or if they got to stressed with it.

I was thinking about building a 2 tier cage type pen to hold 2 hens and a rooster per pen/ cage. I have seen a example on here of one that I would modifie to make a bit larger since these are large chickens verses bantams. The basic design is here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=10901-cage-page although I would want to make a nesting box off each end my self for each pen.

I was just thinking this would be much more safer and they would roughly only be in this type of set up for maybe a month if that. I was wanting to do some controlled breeding with different ones.

We do have plans to move our coop and make a new one and I will have it with 4 seperate runs and nexting boxs for this purpose later on this fall or next year. Was just thinking about something more simple and more secure then a tractor that I move all around the yard just dont feel my birds would be safe enough with that. but may go that route if I have too.

I would like to see more info on this thread--including special consideration for 2-3 birds in a smaller space with breeding specifically in mind. Have been searching the posts for this info.

I just havn't found enough info maybe I just need to try it and see what happens
hu.gif
I just dont want to stress then out or cause sickness from this if anyone has tried it or has done something similar please chime in.

I've done it...had no problems. I do it for breeding, sick hens, or brooding...all depends what I need. But I had them built in to the coop at our old place. Now I am starting over and planning the same set up because it worked so well

Back
Top Bottom