Breeding different colors within a breed Orpingtons then Wyandottea

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by moving coops, Jan 5, 2017.

1. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Over the LCO you'll get....
    Choc cuckoo pullets split to lav
    Choc pullets split to lav
    Single factor Cuckoo cockerels split to choc and lav
    Black cockerels split to choc and lav

Bred to the ICO you'll get the same with all having the chance of showing leakage especially the cockerels.
    Your rooster doesn't look pure CCO he appears as I would expect the cockerels from the CCO X ICO cross in respect to leakage.

2. gunslinger33

gunslinger33 Chirping

Feb 3, 2018
    He is CCO DBL Br roo to Solid CO

Not sure of genes behind those two

3. gunslinger33

gunslinger33 Chirping

Feb 3, 2018
    This is the pairings for my CCO Orps

4. gunslinger33

gunslinger33 Chirping

Feb 3, 2018
    Looked good before I hit post

Let me try again.

5. gunslinger33

gunslinger33 Chirping

Feb 3, 2018
    upload_2019-4-12_11-44-55.jpeg

Attached Files:

6. gunslinger33

gunslinger33 Chirping

Feb 3, 2018
    Moonshiner I know you are a wealth of knowledge along with some other. I apologize if my questions seem obvious. When you say leakage are you referring to the lack of darker coloring or presence of lighter coloring (yellows)?

In the mentioned crosses would the blacks produced be diluted blacks or good dark sheen blacks?

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    Stuck In a Dream
    My Coop
    Self Black birds will produce ground color leakage(gold or silver) when the genes that make them self black are in heterozygous forms or when they are missing, in this case it's because they are in Heterozygous form

8. gunslinger33

gunslinger33 Chirping

Feb 3, 2018
    upload_2019-4-12_12-29-18.jpeg

This is my CCO hen from the same pairing

9. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Don't even worry about that. We are have questions at times.
    I'm not sure there's a difference.
    Chocolate should be a nice even color over the complete body and barring should be even color with the barring. I just question the areas that are much lighter which doesn't give the even overall color. If that makes sense.
    I have Isabel over cuckoo birds. Now everyone will tell you that will produce black offspring but in the males it never does. The cockerels grow to look like your bird with lighter or non black color in the hackle and saddle areas. That's what I'm referring to. You bird looks like it has something under the solid color making it leak through and not be even solid pattern.
    Another thing that's debatable. Most will tell you blacks from color crossing lines such as chocolate, blue, lavender etc. Will never be as pure or have the rich dark black with the sheen.
    I don't see that or maybe I just don't see that well but I have or have had blacks from a ton of color cross lines and I have a pure black line. I could not pick them out from one another.
    With the cross I mentioned above I have black hens with one copy of wild type and lavender underneath and they look as black as my black hens.

10. gunslinger33

gunslinger33 Chirping

Feb 3, 2018
    This is my pair next to each other. Pay the Biel no attention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: