Breeding different colors within a breed Orpingtons then Wyandottea

Okay I think I understand what you mean about the blue x Lavendar! Even though the one poster said I would not get Lavendar or splash but what you are saying that in the next generation I won't know if those are splash or Lavendar!

Okay I think I understand what you mean about the blue x Lavendar! Even though the one poster said I would not get Lavendar or splash but what you are saying that in the next generation I won't know if those are splash or Lavendar!
Correct. It makes identifying which birds are splash and which are lavender a major headache in future generations. That's the main reason why those two varieties should not ever be crossed.

I was thinking of sticking with the chocolate anyway!
And did you know that a bird with chocolate and lavender genes produces something called Mauve? Very pretty birds.

Correct. It makes identifying which birds are splash and which are lavender a major headache in future generations. That's the main reason why those two varieties should not ever be crossed. 

And did you know that a bird with chocolate and lavender genes produces something called Mauve? Very pretty birds. 

Its chocolate and blue that makes mauve. Not chocolate and lavender.

When people say cuckoo it is just a cuckoo patterned black chicken. When its a different color than black with the cuckoo pattern then they are mostly called whatever color then cuckoo. I just added the black in ( ) so you would know for sure the color i was talking about was black. Instead of just saying cuckoo and assuming you would know i meant black.

I have a question about the color Gene. I have two chocolate cuckoo hens if I put a pure chocolate cockrel over them will I get the 50/50 split. Or how will that work. Thanks for all the help and loved fining this article was very helpful... Cause I to have a spare lavender hen with no one I think she can go with. I don't think it's best to put her with my isabIs orps. And putting with my jubliee would make nothing but a mess...ROFL.

I have a question about the color Gene. I have two chocolate cuckoo hens if I put a pure chocolate cockrel over them will I get the 50/50 split. Or how will that work. Thanks for all the help and loved fining this article was very helpful... Cause I to have a spare lavender hen with no one I think she can go with. I don't think it's best to put her with my isabIs orps. And putting with my jubliee would make nothing but a mess...ROFL.
Chocolate rooster over chocolate cuckoo hens will produce sex links.
All pullets will be chocolate and all cockerels will be chocolate cuckoo.
The cockerels will only carry one gene for cuckoo so when they're bred they'll pass the cuckoo gene to about half his offspring and no cuckoo gene to the other half.

Chocolate rooster over chocolate cuckoo hens will produce sex links.
All pullets will be chocolate and all cockerels will be chocolate cuckoo.
The cockerels will only carry one gene for cuckoo so when they're bred they'll pass the cuckoo gene to about half his offspring and no cuckoo gene to the other half

Here is one of my cuckoo hens. Looks like they r starting to melt but I've got them in my hen coop away from any Cockerel rite now.

Ok so then I bred the cuckoo Cockerel back to the mom's and will that help produce full cuckoo or will I have to breed for another generation to get full cuckoo out of them? Reason I was doing this is finding a good cuckoo Cockerel is hard to do here in East TN.. so figured heck why not do my own. Thanks for info.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• 20180815_192944.jpg
    20180815_192944.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 7
Here is one of my cuckoo hens. Looks like they r starting to melt but I've got them in my hen coop away from any Cockerel rite now.

Ok so then I bred the cuckoo Cockerel back to the mom's and will that help produce full cuckoo or will I have to breed for another generation to get full cuckoo out of them? Reason I was doing this is finding a good cuckoo Cockerel is hard to do here in East TN.. so figured heck why not do my own. Thanks for info.
[/QUOTE]
Yes breed the cockerels back to the cuckoo hens.
That will produce about 50/50 cuckoo and solid pullets and 50/50 single gene cuckoo and double gene cuckoo cockerels.
So about half the cockerels will be what you want.
You can keep those solid chocolate pullets and when bred to the double gene cuckoo cockerels they'll produce all cuckoo pullets. They will produce single gene cockerels but those can be throw aways.

Yes breed the cockerels back to the cuckoo hens.
That will produce about 50/50 cuckoo and solid pullets and 50/50 single gene cuckoo and double gene cuckoo cockerels.
So about half the cockerels will be what you want.
You can keep those solid chocolate pullets and when bred to the double gene cuckoo cockerels they'll produce all cuckoo pullets. They will produce single gene cockerels but those can be throw aways.[/QUOTE]

This whole color genetics things is crazy with how in depth it can get. At one point I was just going to put all my orpington in one coop and let it be and see what I got but then I didn't want to mess up good genes by being foolish. So I want to make sure I do what's needed to preserve the colors and genes but also have a few to make wild colors and things to add to my barnyard mix.

I know this is an old thread but I am trying to figure out if I use my Single barred CCO rooster over my LCO or ICO what will this produce? My CCO roo is very light (father was DBL Barred)

upload_2019-4-12_9-11-40.png

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom