BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Arielle...Chicken feet. There's not much meat on them but I like the taste of the little wad of meat that is in the center of the foot. As for skinning, that would be very hard...except...when the feet are scalded and the outer layer is removed, that's tantamount to skinning, in my way of thinking.

I like them for the meat but especially for seasoning and that jell is very important to help flavor soups...at least in my household. The little piece of meat tastes like gizzard but not quite as strong.

Breed? Mountain Cur.

Last edited:
No Kev, Buckeyes have pea combs. EDIT...but I like walnut, rose and other combs.

My daughter Ariel is the 'mommy' and I'm sure she is far more likely to take pics than I or either of my sons. I'll ask her to take a few since she spends hours with them. These chicks and the new Florida W. bunnies keep her smiling and considering her condition when she got here, it makes me smile too!!! lolol

I have just a bit of fear (apprehension) that these could turn into pigs, like the CornishX but then I just think for a second and realize it a whole different ball game. But, these almost have to be large birds and large appetites shouldn't be a surprise...lol

And ...EDIT to Arielle: American Rare breed Dog Assn.

http://www.arba.org/#curtain3

Whoops.. I get them mixed up with chanteclers.. dual purpose North American breeds that aren't single combed.

Aww, anything that keeps her happy, right!

Some birds/lines are pigs as chicks but calm down once mature. Hope those chicks learn table manners when older. I cannot stand permanent pigs either...!

Curious about that dog- don't recognize breed either but do note it's obviously well bred...

Thanks for the info on the Sussex.

I'm not sure what to do. I sell eggs so the commercial Browns are a necessity. There is no finer layer. I no longer raise games. Not even oe game bantams. Haven't had either for yrs now. But I'm wanting to dabble in something a little different. The rir and nh are not exotic enough for my tastes. Grew up with these and remeber the season my grandfather switched over to sex links for very good reason. Cut out all that butchering work to. Which I was glad of.

I'm also considering the Buckeyes because I've always been partial to pcomb fowl. They definitly got that oriental look to them from the game/Cornish infusion. But I'm torn on what to do. It's all about production from egg numbers standpoint with me. I'm willing to sacrifice a few eggs per year if the breed is a little different and has that cool factor going for it. But I don't want sacrifice too much.

As for chicken feet......back home at smaller local grocery stores you can still find these things packaged up by the dozens and sold. Certain folks still eat them. But we always threw them in the heated water pot we dipped the chickens into pluck them. After cooking in that water all day we would feed them **** scratchers to the dogs. They loved them

Arielle...Chicken feet.   There's not much meat on them but I like the taste of the little wad of meat that is in the center of the foot.  As for skinning, that would be very hard...except...when the feet are scalded and the outer layer is removed, that's tantamount to skinning, in my way of thinking.

I like them for the meat but especially for seasoning and that jell is very important to help flavor soups...at least in my household.  The little piece of meat tastes like gizzard but not quite as strong.

Breed?  Mountain Cur.

The curs are becoming more popular with the coon hunters around here cause they don't range near as far from the hunters as a hound will. The older hunters like them esp. For this reason.
I know a number of guys that use curs for squirrel dogs. I myself bought a lattimer black mouth cur for this reason but I'm not much of a hunter and sold her to my brother. He's one of those great white hunter types, I thought he would hunt her. But that dog has the life of Reilly. Living in his living room year round. Shame to waste a dog like that. Lol.

Can't remeber who had the speck. Sussex. On this thread. But I'm curious as to how they turned out in regards to production. Egg quality, color and lay ability.

I'm getting ready to order replacement pullets and wanted something different to go along with my commercial layers. But want something that will produce a lot of eggs
I have SS. The eggs are a bit darker than what they look here, but I also get some that are lighter. I'd say I get 4-5 eggs/week. I only have 8 hens right now. I'm really excited though, because I'm getting some large and extra large eggs. They typically lay medium eggs. I have 12 in the bator and my criteria was 2 oz and over. I had 2, 2 1/8 and 2 1/4 oz eggs. I'm hoping this will be the start of getting my SS up to a better size. I don't handle my birds a lot, but they are all pretty friendly.

Whoops.. I get them mixed up with chanteclers.. dual purpose North American breeds that aren't single combed.

Aww, anything that keeps her happy, right!

Some birds/lines are pigs as chicks but calm down once mature. Hope those chicks learn table manners when older. I cannot stand permanent pigs either...!

Curious about that dog- don't recognize breed either but do note it's obviously well bred...

Kev, the Mountain Cur is a very old breed. This breed is the result of various terriers and Fiest type dogs that likely intermingled with the Native American dogs. The most famous breed that came out of this admixture is the Plott Cur, originating in the mountains of North Carolina by the German immigrant woods people/farmers/hunters who brought their dogs with them. They were then and even unto now, the best bear dogs in the world.

They were called Plott Curs until 1946 when UKC recognized the breed and several people with MONEY added hound and the Plott Hound was born...lolol But, many folks around here still breed Cur type and still call them Plott Curs.

I raised the dog in the picture and he was a great bear and bobcat dog...as well as the first 'Mt. Cur' registered with UKC. He sired many good hunting dogs that were used on bear, coon and hogs. His name was Cosmo...

Last edited:
Kev, the Mountain Cur is a very old breed. This breed is the result of various terriers and Fiest type dogs that likely intermingled with the Native American dogs. The most famous breed that came out of this admixture is the Plott Cur, originating in the mountains of North Carolina by the German immigrant woods people/farmers/hunters who brought their dogs with them. They were then and even unto now, the best bear dogs in the world.

They were called Plott Curs until 1946 when UKC recognized the breed and several people with MONEY added hound and the Plott Hound was born...lolol But, many folks around here still breed Cur type and still call them Plott Curs.

I raised the dog in the picture and he was a great bear and bobcat dog...as well as the first 'Mt. Cur' registered with UKC. He sired many good hunting dogs that were used on bear, coon and hogs. His name was Cosmo...

Sounds like my kinda dog! Congrats on raising and breeding a nice dog.

When I moved out here, it was still very rural, varmints and predators were around in abundance. The terrier type dog I had was invaluable- he was so merciless on the ground squirrels, gophers, any rodents plus gray foxes and even treed a couple bobcats and told me me to "get 'em!". He was also the only dog I had that would go after any skunk and rarely get really sprayed.. By being a great terrier type dog, he truly saved a lot of my birds- and probably kept me interested because otherwise I might have totally given up in frustration because as you know once a predator gets in, they do massive amounts of damage..... so disheartening. I did have to give up on waterfowl as not long after this dog passed on, a bobcat wiped out all my muscovies and geese in one night....

I should hunt around for a picture and get it scanned to see what he might have been. He looked like a mixed breed to me but some people would stop me and get all excited over seeing an American rat terrier and his tail was docked.. not terribly likely most mixed breed owners would dock their pups?

With this one dog I fully realized how valuable a GOOD dog is on a farm....... Miss him tons.

Sounds like my kinda dog! Congrats on raising and breeding a nice dog.

When I moved out here, it was still very rural, varmints and predators were around in abundance. The terrier type dog I had was invaluable- he was so merciless on the ground squirrels, gophers, any rodents plus gray foxes and even treed a couple bobcats and told me me to "get 'em!". He was also the only dog I had that would go after any skunk and rarely get really sprayed.. By being a great terrier type dog, he truly saved a lot of my birds- and probably kept me interested because otherwise I might have totally given up in frustration because as you know once a predator gets in, they do massive amounts of damage..... so disheartening. I did have to give up on waterfowl as not long after this dog passed on, a bobcat wiped out all my muscovies and geese in one night....

I should hunt around for a picture and get it scanned to see what he might have been. He looked like a mixed breed to me but some people would stop me and get all excited over seeing an American rat terrier and his tail was docked.. not terribly likely most mixed breed owners would dock their pups?

With this one dog I fully realized how valuable a GOOD dog is on a farm....... Miss him tons.

It's tough to loose a great dog. They are few and far between. Sounds like your dog might have been something like a Decker Terrier, aka Decker Giant. They get about the size of the little Mt. Cur I posted. Here's a few pics of them...

https://www.google.com/search?q=dec...v&sa=X&ei=ZZndVJq5L4mqgwS8mIDoBw&ved=0CCYQsAQ

New to the thread, but I'll jump right in, had a question for hellbender.
We bought a puppy from a litter that was supposedly boxer mastiff mix at a no kill shelter here in upstate NY. Now that he's grown I know he isn't. I had a boxer before and he was huge, this dog isn't nowwhere near the size my boxer was. Last summer we took him for free rabis shots at our town hall. A guy in line asked what kind of dog we had, he said it looked like a cur to him, he was holding a catahuala cur (spelling?). When we got home we researched curs. He originally came in a litter from Tennessee, he's brindle, has a curled tail with a white tip, has four dewclaws, from what I read curs are one of the few dogs that do. He never calms down, super wired, runs like a greyhound. Seems to have a good nose on him, my boxer didn't. From what I read and pics of Tennessee mountain curs 50% are born with bob tails naturally and some are fawn and white colored like a boxer. Do you think they might have been mistaken if the mother looked like a boxer? I never get good pics cause he never sits still.

Back
Top Bottom