BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Rainey

Rainey Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2015
    Thanks. I appreciate the prompt and helpful replies to someone on the bottom rung of the ladder.

2. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    [​IMG] and to this thread in particular!!!! I'd like to point out that there are NO totem poles or low rungs on ladders on this thread. All are welcomed and in fact, this thread was begun for folks like you, those who might feel a bit reticent to post for fear of being ridiculed. That is simply not tolerated here..

2 people like this.
  3. n3kms

n3kms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    I've been reading this thread for a few months. I love pretty chickens and pretty eggs but I also want a good homestead type breed to work with. There is someone on the "eggs for sale" thread that is selling Black Java eggs. I think they sound like what I want to try. Eggs, meat, foragers and somewhat broody. Thought others might be interested.
    I've really enjoyed reading this thread.

4. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I'm one of those that is all in favor of hatchery stock

From my personal experience I've NEVER seen chicks that were healthier or had more vigor than hatchery stock. Other than gamefowl breeders. But your talking about fowl that are on a whole nother plane than your typical run of the mill backyard/homestead breeds of chicken. You can't compare apples to oranges

Hatchery stock are better bred for production. More productive, Healthier. And much easier to replace. As I mentioned before I see no need to reinvent something that has been proven inferior in the past. But that's just me. And I respect those that do like to dabble in antiques and history. Nothing wrong with that. If nothing else it does create pretty pictures and good conversation.

If I was looking for a good egg producing breed for a homestead type environment. I'd create one through outcrossing and using the hybridizing method. I believe I'd take a high producing Mediterranean breed like a leghorn of some type and cross it over some game hens. Both are highly alert to everything in their environment. Both are built for foraging and hustling their own feed. They can both fly well. The leghorn type will make the cross productive and make eggs larger. The game type will introduce broodines to the cross. Turn them loose and let them do what they want. Yet teach them to come when fed and train them to roost in a coop at night. If not the game blood will have them high in the trees regardless the weather.
    Back cross to the leghorn side to further reduce the broodines, make egg production higher, keep the fowl little closer to home and if course get away from the fight craze the good game stock has bred into it
    Just theorizing. I have never actually done this. And this cross would be worthless for meat from our modern standards

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  5. Dead Rabbit

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia

I'm not near as knowledgable as others on the heritage types and I definitly don't believe in a dual purpose breed. But if meat isn't a main priority and you want eggs my first thought is a hatchery black sex link. Straight run. They lay very well. Quick to mature. Are a larger chicken than the other sexlinks. So there is a little more meat on them than those other strains. Butcher The cockerels. And if you did want to dabble in breeding them. Than I'd suggest contacting one of these breeders of RIR or NH, purchas and have them ship you a brood cock or stag to cover the black hens.
    The F1 will retain good laying ability and you should have a little more carcass weight

6. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Quote:Welcome to BYC. You have stumbled upon one of the best threads around. Stay with us. :D

1 person likes this.
  7. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Quote:Dead Rabbit, I've always been a proponent for heritage not hatchery. But in restrospect, I understand where you are coming from. My Blosl and XW White Plyouth pullets are over 8 months old and still NOT laying. I think maybe they won't be part of my egg business. Selling hatching eggs, yes, but buying ISA Brown pullets when it's time for me to get started. I will buy a good New Hampshire rooster to get some Golden Comets as well as a few Delawares. But both heritage and hatcher;y have a place and I'm going for them :D

1 person likes this.
  8. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

What would you pick if you wanted them to breed true?

9. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    You will be making something altogether different from a true breed. You will be adding some size to the offspring and hoping to keep the lay rate up.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

10. Dead Rabbit

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    You are right they both have their place. I've enjoyed the posts, discussion, and laying out of plans. This is the third best thread I've ever read on this site. The heritage types can't compete with the modern hybrid type which wouldn't take much to make them a breed. The heritage are fun to talk about reminisce about, and continue dabbling with for a hobby. Some may take it a little more serious than that which is cool. But if production from the standpoint of sheer numbers are the goal hatchery hybrids can't be beaten. I'm glad others do continue to breed them. I just don't myself go this route. Perhaps when I'm older and more time I'd go try this but it would be something a little more ornamental and pleasing to the eye. I'm quite the fan of bantam types As for the ISA BROWNS. these are the best layers of extra jumbo size eggs I've ever had. Too big. I'd have to give the cartons to the customers with the tops open. Plus by a year old the shell quality was poor. But I've since learned that this was probably a product of free ranging

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by