BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia

I recommend going to Post #2460 follow that link and study the breeding methods on how to breed and maintain a line of fowl. These methods have been used and proven successful for centuries. Starting with good birds is the secret and Culling is your best tool.

The genetics in this proposed cross are so diverse you would have to inbreed and line breed to set a strain, in order to get some Consistancy. But something like this is a crap shoot to start with. To go past the first few generations you would definitly need to keep multiple "yards" (brood pens)

2. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina

3. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Which ever one interests you the most, other than the hybrids. They will be your own, and on your own yard. We all have a tendency to impose our ideals on others. What you will be the most happiest with is what you are the most interested in.

4. Beer can

Beer can Chicken Obsessed

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    @Rainey Everyone has a different opinion on what's the best choice for birds. Right now I decided to go for something different and decided on a colorful egg basket. I have brownleghorns for white eggs and higher production, welsummers for dark brown spotted eggs and easter eggers, been getting green and olive eggs have at least one not laying yet praying for blue. I'm really happy with the EEgrs, laying the most eggs at subzero temps.I ordered white giants and black and blue langshans more for meat, but I guess they lay decent. And I have some fibro ayem cemani crosses coming also, mainly for meat birds. Blah blah, anyway I don't have them anymore and don't see myself getting them in the near future but Rhode Island Reds ( I probably had production ones) were by far the best laying chickens I have ever had, laid more than any sexlink or golden comet I've ever had. They laid everyday all yr round even straight through winter (had a light in the coop above their water to keep it thawed out). When they took a break and molted they took turns, I was still up to my ears in eggs. They also have a nice carcass and make a good enough dual purpose meat bird, the roosters can get quite large (usually mean though, but I've had some that wern't).

5. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    So this is where you Aussies are hiding ...LOL..no action on the Aussie thread for days

6. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    You've been invited to join us...more than once...

7. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    [​IMG]

That's right. that's right...let's get this mess outta here!!!

8. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  9. Beer can

Beer can Chicken Obsessed

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    [​IMG]
    Add on Craigslist;
    "Free Snow! Bring your shovels and take all you want!"

10. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    I am guessing that y'all really do NOT want to hear about the weather down here in Florida ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by