BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Predictable answer. Not wrong. But pridefully predictable

Here's something else interesting. Since late 1700 the counties that made up WVA have wanted to leave va they didn't like the wealthier planter class of the east that held most of the political power dictating to them how to live

So they saw their chance to leave in early 1860 and succeeded. The irony of it all they ended up supporting and helped institute a strong federal govt instead of a once strong state level govt. which 150 yrs later now WVA is once again answering to a wealthy class of politicians. Also based in the east a few hrs north of their once capital of Richmond.

Everything comes full circle. No one can ever truly wins under mankind rule

2. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    I ran around West Virginia and Virginia a bit when I was in the Army. I have a son and grandchildren @ Virginia Beach now. They are beautiful States. West Virginia is a place that I would have considered moving to.

Bee, like yourself, I could not care less about the cash flow of a State, providing the debt is down. California is far above the rest, and it is the last place I would consider moving to. Though I will admit, naturally, it is an amazing place.

I will admit that I enjoy where I am, and will admit some pride. Solomon was referring to a personal pride, haughtiness, and the opposite of humility. Thinking too much of one's self and lacking any fear of God. The Hebrew word translated here has a difference sense what was used here. Though I did notice that rebelling against a state rebelling against a nation was an interesting connection.

3. Dead Rabbit

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    It's not misquoting. It's using an actual translation. I do reference the kjv but I don't speak archaic english and the kjv is simply that. A version. Not a translation plus the kjv is known to have mistakes so I choose to use actual translations that are "more correct".

I'm sorry i have really taken this awesome tread way off subject. I knew I was kicking myself. I will get back on track

Onward and upward

4. Dead Rabbit

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Lol. Ok one more than I quit. I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that.

When I was reading up on the subject I was thinking that proverbial saying. The pot calling the kettle black

Only thing I could think of was at the time states rights and a strong state govt held more sway than a strong central govt.

Still doesn't make rebellion right but different times equals different worlds.

Ok I go back to my corner now

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I thought it held some irony as well. WV, among other reasons, left VA because those counties wanted to stay in the Union, whereas the other counties of VA did not. So rebelling against a state that was rebelling holds a delightful irony to me. I guess that still stings to VA...that loss of all our abundant natural resources in their coffers. Not that I care a fig about politics and such, just stepped into the conversation at an interesting place and detected some small level of sour grapes thinking directed at WV.

It's cheap to live here, it's still beautiful and free in many ways that the surrounding states are not and I didn't even notice the so-called recession of 2008...I even had to ask someone what they were referring to when they asked how our lives had changed since 2008? Economics don't change much at this level of living and we get along much as we always have, adapting to each new thing with a versatile and hard working nature that has us focused on the row in front of us and not so much with what the rest of the world is up to.

1 person likes this.
  6. Shellz

Shellz Chillin' With My Peeps

Was really enjoying this thread, but I don't think arguing semantics is going to solve anything here.

I appreciate all the knowledge I've gleaned thus far & have a project in mind for next year. I've been raising Malines for a couple of years & been very pleased with their ability to put on weight feeding 15% protein grower ration. The only downside is the large, single comb that gets frostbite in our frigid winters up here in Canada. I plan to use my rooster over Buckeye hens, which I will grow out from hatching eggs this spring. My goal is to achieve a more cold hardy meat bird. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

8. Dead Rabbit

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Mr Jensen if you were in WVA now the weather may have you migrating south again.

We got 14 in of snow here after today. I imagine the mtns of WVA are even worse..

An interesting thought. Years ago I was in conversation with a gentleman in south Ohio. He said the best fowl come from the north east states. It takes a strong bird to survive the brutal winters plus the cold kills off a lot of the diseases that are common in the deep humid south..
    The fowl in the south are naturally weaker because of all the diseases and the weather and environment.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on that belief.

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Interesting plan!! Looking forward to seeing the results. When will start hatching???

10. Dead Rabbit

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    No sour grapes here. I'm just stating facts. I love history and enjoy talking about it. But seriously a state that ranks 49 wouldn't benefit a state that ranks 9. The weak battery drags the strong battery down.

Arielle are you talking about blood specks? This is caused by internal trauma of some sort that is caught up in the egg making process. It's common in some pullets regardless the breed. But couple yes ago I had some young layers that went through a period of blood specks in their eggs. I haven't noticed problems since then. But come to think of it I did lose a couple customers round that time. I wonder if this was the reason..???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by