BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Mini Meat

Mini Meat Chillin' With My Peeps

I had to buy a demo hammer to loosen up the base rocked ground where I put up my fence. Where there is a will there is a way. Worked like a charm.

1 person likes this.
  2. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area

Good info. Thanks. :D

3. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    That's no snow at all for around here but we've been fairly lucky the last three years...not as much snow as usual but plenty of COLD!!!!!!!

4. gevshiba

gevshiba Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012
    I got behind and just caught up. Country Hatchery in OK has Muscovies and they'll pinion them.

2 people like this.
  5. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Thanks...I checked them out. They seem a bit expensive for what seems common barnyard fowl. I'm thinking of going ahead and kissing the butts of the folks in PA. and taking a road trip. At least theirs are supposed to be the heavier meat-bred type of whites and for something like one third the price of the bunch in OK.

Thank you very much for thinking of us!!!

RON

6. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    I had a heart-to-heart with my family over dinner last night. With the three breeds of birds here (chickens), I feel we have enough diversity that we should NEVER have to order chicks from anyone else again...or at least so long as I'm alive.

Two breeds are as good for eggs as many, despite the fact they were bought for meat (capons)...they are Chanteclers and Buckeyes. The Dark Cornish will lay enough eggs alone to supply our home needs, despite the fact they want to go broody so much of the time. We have enough of them that even if most are broody at once, enough eggs could be purloined from them alone to supply our needs. IF we get the ducks, they will supply plenty of eggs too. I'm suggesting to them if/after the ducks get here, we close our flocks again and increase our bio-security and I suggested it in the strongest of terms so there should be no misunderstanding and I didn't mean perhaps.

7. JRNash

JRNash Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    Good luck. Lol

1 person likes this.
  8. misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Ordure Heir

Nov 20, 2014
    Mikado, Mi

No idea where you live but this was what we had last Feb just for temps...and the does kept having their kids are night.
    [​IMG]

We bottle feed most of our kids this year too, they come out a lot more friendly and easy to work with. I'm pretty sure if we had more goats or a smaller open barn we would not have had the problems, the barn they wintered in was a 50ftx120ftx14ft at eaves open barn ment for beef cattle, they got 1/4 of the barn for all total about 20 goats. We asked the barn owner if we could put up heat lamps or make heat hunts for the kids and they freaked out saying we were going to burn the building down and no way. So yeah the goats are not staying there this year for winter. We did notice this year we had almost all bucks.

9. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    We live in the West Virginia Highlands, in a small mountain valley. Great place to live...I've said before, very few nights a comforter would be unwelcome.

10. misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Ordure Heir

Nov 20, 2014
    Mikado, Mi
    You guys were downright warm compared to what we had...we were in the barn milking one day, in the sunlight and it was the first day i actually thought wow its actually warm today, when we got done the barn thermometer said 6F. That was shocking lol. if summer would ever arm up we might be able to sleep a night without blankets, this weather is ridiculous we had frost like 2 weeks ago...in june!! Last year we had half an inch or more of frozen ice rain stuck to everything...on mothers day. Anyone else having problems getting their garden all in because of to little or to much rain? We have 15 of the 17 flats in so almost done with those, i'm not sure if we should even bother with seeds since it is gonna be like 3 weeks or more behind now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by