BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

My Dark Cornish chicks have changed dramatically since just this morning!
jumpy.gif
But I expected it. When I pulled them from their box, they were quite demur and fearless= almost catatonic. I dipped their little beaks into the water mixed with electrolytes and vitamins and they began to eat the little crumbles and drinking lots of the water. They seemed to have no fear of me at all. Now that they have their 'land-legs', it's another story. When I go near, they act like I'm an eagle coming in for the kill. They dart about like crazy, screaming for all they're worth.
lau.gif
No fatalities!!!

To me, that's a good sign. When I move around where I can see them undetected, they are jumping and fritting about, taking time to eat/drink and back to zooming around the brooder. They are finally winding down and many are sprawled out under the heat lamps, almost looking dead but I see the occasional twitch.

I might run over and write a REVIEW about them..."They were so friendly at first and now they hate me so I will just hate them back!" Then give them 1/2 star.
gig.gif

Turk

Give them time. And they can be liike my 8.5 wk old girls. Still run like crazy.
lau.gif
That's a hatchery bird.

Last edited:
My Dark Cornish chicks have changed dramatically since just this morning!
jumpy.gif
But I expected it. When I pulled them from their box, they were quite demur and fearless= almost catatonic. I dipped their little beaks into the water mixed with electrolytes and vitamins and they began to eat the little crumbles and drinking lots of the water. They seemed to have no fear of me at all. Now that they have their 'land-legs', it's another story. When I go near, they act like I'm an eagle coming in for the kill. They dart about like crazy, screaming for all they're worth.
lau.gif
No fatalities!!!

To me, that's a good sign. When I move around where I can see them undetected, they are jumping and fritting about, taking time to eat/drink and back to zooming around the brooder. They are finally winding down and many are sprawled out under the heat lamps, almost looking dead but I see the occasional twitch.

I might run over and write a REVIEW about them..."They were so friendly at first and now they hate me so I will just hate them back!" Then give them 1/2 star.
gig.gif

Turk
If you will moisten your finger, dip it in chick starter, then make pecking motions, the chicks will run to your hand. Do this, and you will have friendly birds, not birds who fear your hand. Chicks instinctively fear anything looming over them, so speak first, then make the packing motions with food on your finger. You'll see a big difference.

Thank you! And no, I don't put up with any guff, especially from bad tempered birds,other varmits, or people. I have never had problems with bad acting cockerels, or cock birds, probably because it is firmly embedded in my mind that I am THE MOTHER, and they are the CHICKEN, be it friend, or soup. They have a choice, and I make that very clear.

This chick is carrying 3 crosses to my imported cock bird, Monty. He will be about 14-15 lbs at 2 1/2 years old. He has been bred for good temperament due to that. He is happily living in Texas, with people who expect him to behave, so he will.
He is a very handsome fella! I'm interested in relatively large birds and I'm curious about the longevity of a bird such as the one pictured...assuming excellent care and proper living conditions...everything being optimum.

Thanks in advance

He is a very handsome fella! I'm interested in relatively large birds and I'm curious about the longevity of a bird such as the one pictured...assuming excellent care and proper living conditions...everything being optimum.

Thanks in advance
Well bred, well fed, Orp LF should still be healthy at 6-8 years old.The hens will produce fewer eggs, but any hen who fits the SOP, and produces well for that long should be bred from. The older hens are the crown jewels in a breeding program.Many a promising pullet has fallen apart at age 2. Those that make it there, are bred from here.

All my critters seem to live a long time . I had a rather well known black Silkie hen, Mamma, who was still winning Show Ch. at age 12. I don't keep many. Just a few, very good ones, and I take very good care of them.

If you will moisten your finger, dip it in chick starter, then make pecking motions, the chicks will run to your hand. Do this, and you will have friendly birds, not birds who fear your hand. Chicks instinctively fear anything looming over them, so speak first, then make the packing motions with food on your finger. You'll see a big difference.
Thank you for the advice...it's very much appreciated. I was actually kidding about writing a review. I've seen some silly ones based upon similar circumstances.

Turk

I was just out doing my evening chicken check, and spent a little longer just staring at everyone, trying to get a 'vibe' from my pullets, comparing them to their parents, thinking about who I want to pen with who next....

They all just gave me that beady eye like 'uh oh, she's making plans again'.

Such good advice about keep the best hens as long as possible!

When we were just keeping a flock for egg sales, we'd rotate them out before their 2nd molt and always have upcoming pullets to replace them. Now looking at some of my gals that are over a year old, that I'd normally think of selling or eating, some of them have been crack winter layers, steady, nice quality eggs, not to mention getting close to the look I want. Can't wait to see how their daughters do, especially since I will have a batch with each of my roos to compare.

I also need to get back to tracking feed/production numbers. It's tough when I'm running a mixed flock, but when I track just layers, it's really helpful to see those numbers over a few seasons.

One of our Blue Andulusian males we are using. We are breeding for production. We don't show. The hens are large and are extremely good layers. They are splashes, not good lacing but again we selected them based on performance , not color.

A much deeper looking bird than I expected. I like the way he looks. He appears tall~ is he?

M

After reading several threads on this great site, I've become convinced that there must be many people, lurkers or those who fear being jumped upon, who are simply interested in breeding chickens for production.

Breeding for egg production has been my life-long hobby and I have never disparaged those who breed strictly for conformation, to the Standard of Perfection, as written by folks who had their ideals met and transcribed long ago and I do not intend to begin here.

In fact, I intend to begin a SOP breeding project in the near future, with a breed that will require considerable dedication and commitment. That being said, I have started this thread for those of us that enjoy the fruits of our labors in egg and meat production and who really don't care if our chickens meet some arbitrary set of rules that can at best, be very subjective.

With egg and meat production....the quality can be seen and tasted. No need for a third party to give us their opinions, with the possible exceptions...if we sell eggs or meat birds, we had better produce quality or our efforts will be in vain.

EDIT: This thread is as much for the SOP folks as anyone. I think they need to realize (many do) that production was the primary reason for having chickens 'back in the day'.
highfive.gif
I think this is a good place to bring this post forward. I only had a brief encounter with RON but it was when he welcomed me to the thread and chastised others for failing to do so. I have a very thick skin but many others might not and If Ron never comes back to this thread as he has promised, we might owe it to him to keep the thread as close to the standards he envisioned.

Turk

Back
Top Bottom