Breeding for specific colored EE's.

I just dropped off a beautiful EE/Brahma roo that may have been an interesting addition to your goals. He may still be available. I was going on vacation so I gave him to Two by Two Ranch in Chico, he would have the blue gene. I'm new to chicken genetics but bred for color in horses and dogs.....love the color game. BTW, we're neighbors, I'm in Paradise.
frow.gif
Oh, and I have a 2-3 month old white roo that I need to rehome. I don't know what breed he is but he came from the feed store and was supposed to be a "brown egg laying chicken" and a pullet.....2 our of 7 are boys! I have him and an Australorp that I think is a roo also!
hmm.png

Ah, I see. Well, then there is where you trace back the original parents, consider their genetics, and go from there. The Chicken Calculator can help a lot with that, too.

Looks like you do indeed have some Wheaten in there, some Brown-Red too (from the Marans) - But what color was the Cochin? That also can help. But still, I do see a lot of duckwing EE's there too.

Parmesan, Picatta, and Cajun have duckwing in them, if not full-on duckwing or maybe a little Wheaten.

So since I'm not seeing any other whites but the original male shown (Parents) I'm assuming it's actually splash, not white? Where'd the white and red boy come in? His father is the BCM? If so, there's GOT to be Columbian in there, because he'd normally be solid splash (or white?) with red hackles/saddle) without it.

Which then, sorry if I'm so confused, would that make the Cochin-cross the mom? Because she'd be the only one sensible as mom, which would point to the original Cochin being a Buff. (Buffs carry columbian)

Trying to figure this all out.
hide.gif
lol.png

Quote:
Funny I was thinking yesterday that If I were to get an actual breed it would probably be Buff Brahmas.

How old is/was he? I have no girls right now to put another boy with plus I probably have about 10 extra 6 week olds in the test batch!
wink.png

I kind of want a game plan before anything really gets going! No need to rush into the unknown..

I noticed you were in Paradise. Aren't there strict regulations up there unless you have a little bit of property? or am I mistaken?! I work at the bottom of Skyway so were closer then you think!
frow.gif

Quote:
Uht Oh! You're pretty confused!
wink.png
haha
lol.png
Sorry!!

The Original cochin (black with a red neck and is broody in the pic) is pictured along with her EX-husband the pic below hers. They're the parents to Goldie, Patty, and Lady.

Alfredo, parm, piccata, and cajun are all brother and sisters(?) BCM/EE. Same BCM roo, different EE hens. I got the eggs from Medicine Man so maybe I can see if he will chime in!
smile.png

Gosh am I that confusing or what!! haha!

Thank you for you input!!

The BCM was carrying a recessive wheaten gene then. . . . Because a straight, homozygous Black Copper colored Marans x Easter Egger usually throws the same color as your Cochin. (black with gold on the neck and possibly chest too) So that explains how I mentioned earlier, that they may have wheaten in them. Looks like you have some Wheaten/Duckwing EE's.
smile.png

So Alfredo is the main red and white adult rooster, right? If so then that is indeed dominant white.

Back
Top Bottom