Breeding hatchery chicks for show

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by stvnschnell, Aug 2, 2013.

1. stvnschnell

stvnschnell Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2013
    SW Ohio
    I was told by a judge that showing hatchery chicks won't get me far if I'm showing at any higher than county fair level. However he also said one of the breeds I'm interested in propagating wont be found anywhere but at a hatchery. With that said I'm just going to start selectively breeding the best I have in hopes of an above average result down the line. Here is my question: I have two cockerels and on pullet of this breed, I'm going to purchase ten more chicks at the end of August. I already know one of my current cockerels is bound for the table as he has a defect in his comb, what should I get? I'm thinking 5 pullets, 2 cockerels, and 3 straight run, but I can't make up my mind. I've also considered 8 pullets 2 cockerels and not messing with the straight run. I can really only go up to ten as my entire flock of various breeds numbers almost thirty and I'm already going to have to either do some serious selling or butchering down the road. I think I can really only handle about 50 total birds. Any help or hints would be appreciated

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that 5-6 pullets and 2-3 cockerels seems like a good idea. I don't think you need to bother with the straight run; just get what you want and don't leave it to chance. You should probably end up keeping at least two cockerels, and at least 3 hens for the start of your breeding program. One male to breed, and another to be kept in reserve in case something happens to the other male.

Also, may I inquire what breed you're thinking of? I raise, breed, and show chickens, so I might be able to tell you if what the judge said is really true, and if your breed that you're looking for really can't be found anywhere but a hatchery.

3. stvnschnell

stvnschnell Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2013
    SW Ohio
    Lol, sorry. Yeah I guess that would've been good information to put in. The breed is Golden Campine. I really love the looks of these birds. I think a good specimen could show well. Although after receiving my Standard of Perfection, I may be further from a show quality specimen than I thought

4. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Well I would do some research online and look for some private breeders. It might be more expensive but if you have a nice pullet or cockerel you might only need to buy one? Also look on craigslist just because the judge says so doesn't mean it's true there might be people out there he doesn't know about. I've read people on here talking about golden campines maybe look on here. Anyways I don't know much about that particular breed but you might consider looking before you take the chance of ending up with less desirable chickens

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Golden Campines are rather rare, but I'm sure that there are some breeders in the United States. I'd look for a little while longer before resorting to buying from a hatchery. If you can't find good quality ones, though, this breed might not be the best for you, no matter how much you enjoy it. Breeding from less-than good stock will usually result in offspring that is the same or worse than their parents. If you just want to keep the birds for their looks, and not to show them, that is fine. But without good birds, going to shows would most likely be pointless.

Do whatever you want, though. One of my breeds that I raise, the Dutch Bantam, is rare and not bred to perfection in the United States. But I still raise them anyway because they are enjoyable, and I am still willing to try to improve them from what stock I have. [​IMG]

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
  7. PrestonC

PrestonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Georgetown, Texas
    Okay... I see

Hatchery birds are usually not too ideal to show. However, I have been to a few county fair shows and seen some better hatchery birds. Because campines are rare, hatcheries might have good representations or very poorly looking birds. What hatchery are you looking at? I know a few people who have used selective breeding and ended up with good outcome. U must have patience though. My golds are from Cathy Gleason in Dallas TX. Here byc username is campine2000. Maybe talk to her.

I look forward to seeing your progress. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by