breeding LF and bantams?

what was i thinking

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
cny ny
what happens if my large SF roo breeds with my bantam SF hens? is that going to be ok? sorry if it is a stupid question. i was just thinking about chick in the egg.
what would they be considered... lf or bantam?

thanks for your help.

most LF-bantam crosses come out about 3 pounds depending on the size of the bantam large fowl crosses.. like a junglefowl is considered a bantam but is a fair sized one at that.. if they crossed with a standard it'd be a largefowl

It works out fine. I have had my flock all running together for warmth this winter. I can tell some of the chicks out of one of my hens that I know her egg for sure from the others that some chicks are sired by one of my LF roosters and some of the chicks are sired by my bantam rooster but all the chicks are happy and healthy. They are just different sizes depending on the sire.

Technically you would have a Mutt, because you are not breeding type to type, but if you were to show such a bird it should be too big for bantam standard, and too small for LF standard, but no one would be the wiser till the next generation....

edited to add: there is nothing wrong with the chick, but you should not try to pass it off as PURE anything.

Last edited:
Yep. They are mutts. Some are just more bantam like in size while others are closer to LF in size but not as big as a LF. I don't try to say they are purebreds when I sale them just say they are mutts. Some I can tell the people I know the hen was for example, "Blue" my LF hen is the mother and I am unsure of the sire as all my roosters were running together for the winter. "Blue" lays a different egg than any of my other hens so I know 100% "Blue" is the mother. The rest I just say are a result of my flock running together for the winter and it is possible the breed mix could be Breed A, Breed B, or Breed C crossed with Breed A,B,C,D, or E. Hope that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom