Breeding Light Blue/Colubmian Brahma USA

Nov 12, 2018
I wanna breed Light Blue Brahmas or Columbian Brahma here in the US, sadly no one can import eggs to me and can't find any breeders with those colors. I'm wondering if I did correct animal husbandry and changed the genetic codes up slightly by mixing Columbian Wyandottesand Light Brahmas for the Columbian Brahma, and can I use Light Brahmas, as well as White/Blue Cochins or some light blue-gray breed to make Light Blue Brahmas? Also on the side note, a friend wants to create a new breed that lays blue/green eggs, specifically a true bantam, I told her with very selective breeding and strong amounts of culling with correct breeding, she could possibly create a new breed but it may take years, she is fully prepared and aware of that. I might help her even too. What are your thoughts on these? Are they at all by any chance possible?

Light brahmas are already columbian, there is no need to mix in another breeder to achieve that color.

When you say 'light blue', do you mean lavender? Because those also already exist in the US. So do regular BBS so if you mean regular blue as well, those too are already here.

Light brahmas are already columbian, there is no need to mix in another breeder to achieve that color.

When you say 'light blue', do you mean lavender? Because those also already exist in the US. So do regular BBS so if you mean regular blue as well, those too are already here.
I actually cannot find the Light Blue or called Lavander ones here, it only shows up for other breeds, that's why I'm asking if I can breed them myself. Also, I've been told they were Light Blue, never heard them being called Lavander Brahma. So I guess the Columbian Brahma is called that from other countries, my difference I've seen between the two is less black in the feathered feet for Columbian Brahma.

I actually cannot find the Light Blue or called Lavander ones here, it only shows up for other breeds, that's why I'm asking if I can breed them myself. Also, I've been told they were Light Blue, never heard them being called Lavander Brahma. So I guess the Columbian Brahma is called that from other countries, my difference I've seen between the two is less black in the feathered feet for Columbian Brahma.

You're probably thinking about how in other countries the SOP doesn't call for the black in the saddle feathers for roosters, etc - that's because they have fewer melanisers that give them that color. You can find them lacking the melanisers in this country - order some from a hatchery and chances are they won't have it. However, they'd just be judged as incorrectly colored Lights here.

Is this what you mean by light blue? This is what we call lavender, or self blue, here. If yes, I can point you to several places you could buy eggs or chicks.

LavLacedP.JPEG

Yes, Brahma like that, I looked at places like eBay and asked Mypetchicken about the eggs, Meyer hatchery and cackle if they had or knew anywhere I could get them here in the usa, but no one even on any those places knew where to buy eggs or chicks, one hatchery just told me to breed them myself.

Yes, Brahma like that, I looked at places like eBay and asked Mypetchicken about the eggs, Meyer hatchery and cackle if they had or knew anywhere I could get them here in the usa, but no one even on any those places knew where to buy eggs or chicks, one hatchery just told me to breed them myself.

https://www.carolinararechicks.net/product-page/6-lavender-brahma-hatching-eggs
Here's one place you can order from. I've used them before and they have good stock.

Back
Top Bottom