Breeding Mixed Birds

Mimi13

fuhgettaboutit
6 Years
Jan 6, 2018
Centre, AL
I know that Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers are mixed, but my questions are:
  1. If two EE are bred, does the offspring retain the 1st generation EE traits (ie, colored eggs, beards, muffs)?
  2. If two OE are bred, does the offspring retain the 1st generation OE traits (ie, colored eggs, beards, muffs)?
I’m just very curious at to what would hatch.

It would really depend on what had gone on to create the EE and OE. I have several hens that would qualify as typical EE: blue eggs, muffs, small combs, but I know they are really Orpington/EE crosses. They all definitely have a tan egg gene that may or may not come out in their offspring depending on the rooster they were bred to. But if I just sold them to someone and didn't mention their background, you'd just assume they were EE and expect blue eggs, which you'd get, but possibly not get blue egg laying offspring from them. Since the primary criterion for an EE or OE is the color of the egg the hen lays, what other genes she may carry and how those will express themselves in her offspring are really a crap shoot unless you know a lot about the ancestry of the hen in question.

Great to know. I have two OE crosses. One is a Welsummer over a CL and the other is a Welsummer over a Blk Ameraucana.

My breeding EE is already a mix so this breeding is already out of the question.

Back
Top Bottom