Breeding my chickens

Jhaley88

In the Brooder
May 14, 2020
So I started breeding my road island red rooster with my black sexlinx hens,had any one else done that before?and if so is there a certain name for the chicks or are they considered just a mix breed chicken? I was thinking they will be great egg layers as both reds and sexlinks are,, I've got about 40 eggs so far and had 6 hatch they are hatching every other day.pair or reds then a few pairs of reds and black sexlinks. 20201211_193330.jpg

They will just be considered a barnyard mix.... BSLs are a hybrid breed created by mating a RIR roo with a barred rock hen. The resulting black sex link is a hybrid (cannot produce another BSL) egg laying machine. I would imagine that your resulting barnyard mix chicks will also lay a lot off eggs in their lifetime.
If you want to make your own sex links, get a barred rock hen or two for black sex links, or a white hen like a Delaware or a Leghorn for red sex links and breed them with your RIR rooster.

^^^ @Aapomp831 has a full and complete answer right there. Your BSL aren't a breed, they are a Hybrid. A hybrid comprised of either a RIR or NHR over a barred rock. By putting your RIR over your hybrids, you are creating a non-sex linked barnyard mix with the tendency to reinforce the RIR traits in the offspring.

Its been done, often. It has no name. See for instance this thread from 2012 , or this from 2016.

So I started breeding my road island red rooster with my black sexlinx hens,had any one else done that before?and if so is there a certain name for the chicks or are they considered just a mix breed chicken? I was thinking they will be great egg layers as both reds and sexlinks are,, I've got about 40 eggs so far and had 6 hatch they are hatching every other day.pair or reds then a few pairs of reds and black sexlinks.View attachment 2451453
Mutts.
Egg-laying mixes.
Hybrids.

They will just be considered a barnyard mix.... BSLs are a hybrid breed created by mating a RIR roo with a barred rock hen. The resulting black sex link is a hybrid (cannot produce another BSL) egg laying machine. I would imagine that your resulting barnyard mix chicks will also lay a lot off eggs in their lifetime.
If you want to make your own sex links, get a barred rock hen or two for black sex links, or a white hen like a Delaware or a Leghorn for red sex links and breed them with your RIR rooster.

Thanks,and yes I already have some I do reds and black sex links,I do my red Roo's with my barred rock hens, and do straight reds as well, I just wanted to see if any one really had any good luck breeding reds with black sexlinks..

^^^ @Aapomp831 has a full and complete answer right there. Your BSL aren't a breed, they are a Hybrid. A hybrid comprised of either a RIR or NHR over a barred rock. By putting your RIR over your hybrids, you are creating a non-sex linked barnyard mix with the tendency to reinforce the RIR traits in the offspring.

Its been done, often. It has no name. See for instance this thread from 2012 , or this from 2016.

Yea I figured and I know about the hybrid I just wasn't sure if they had a name to them or anything,seems like there's more breeds popping ouy every day lol,I've been raising chickens a wile just never breed the reds with the sexlinks before there both great egg layers so I was just wondering is all..Ive just recently got into bantams also but I'm only breeding them in pairs,my favorite so far is the silver duckwing.

Back
Top Bottom