Breeding Naked Necks

Quote:
Real short answer: Either 50% of the chicks will have naked necks(in both sexes).. or 100% of them. It depends on whether he has one or two copies of the naked neck gene.

Bit longer answer: Reading the above gives some clues.. if your rooster either has a totally bare neck or has a tiny bow tie with only few feathers, you might expect to get 100% naked necked chicks. If he has a large clump with the feathers covering "a good bit" of the neck(like the rooster in the second comment on this thread).. he's probably not pure.. expect 50% naked necked chicks.

You'll know once you hatch at least 15-20 chicks.. if any chick hatches without a naked neck, it is proof he has just one copy of the naked neck gene. Even if it's just 2-5 out of 15. However if you hatch at least 20 and all have naked necks, the rooster is pure for it(and a good choice to keep for future breeding if he is also good in other ways).

Also, if you plan on breeding for naked necks, do not save the non-naked necked chicks.. they don't have the gene in them at all. Unless the bird has something you like and want to introduce into your naked necks..The naked neck gene is dominant which means if the bird has it, you see it.. if bird doesn't SHOW it, it doesn't have the gene at all. Simple as that.

This subject amazes me too! I love my NN's! I have some of Lisa's eggs in my bator, and they are looking good! They are NN/EE with the green egg gene. Soo cool!
cool.png

Thanks KEV for the help. You make everything easy to understand.
He doesn't have many feathers on his neck so I am hopeful he is pure. He is red and I am putting him with some RI Red hens I have just to see what I get.
thanks again
Monty

Carole, I have some of birds from your eggs last year, some have purple skin and they lay green eggs. I keep them cause I like to look at them, just wish they laid brown eggs.

I have a hen and a roo that is ALL naked neck, no bow tie, will they throw more ALL naked neck? Im wanting some more ALL naked neck, I have plenty with bow ties.

Quote:
I never got around to doing total bare neck pairing so I don't know what to tell you about that.. I have no idea if they would throw 100% total bare necks or produce a combination of total bare necks plus tiny bow ties.. Actually, I would highly appreciate it if you stayed in touch with me regarding the results of your total bare neck pairing.

Are the ones with bow ties related to those two total bare necks?

Last edited:
Question on a totally different vein.....How do you keep the roos from hurting the hen's necks when they mount them? I had to pull one of my girls out of the pen - the roo has cut the back of her neck open from grabbing her when he mounts.

Is there some way to protect their necks?

It can happen with young pullets- their skins are still thin.. it gets thicker and 'tougher' with age.

Young pullets with young cockerels are prone to some tears while the roos are learning how to mate... especially if there are too many cockerels/roosters with them fighting over breeding a hen.

That's the only time I ever had tears on mine- cockerels and pullets in a pen, or way too many roosters who are resorting to chasing and forcibly mating the hens plus the roosters attacking each other while a hen is stuck beneath them. Waiting for the cockerels to mature and culling excess roosters always cured this.

Back
Top Bottom