Breeding OE hen to EE roo…

mommab85

Chirping
Jun 5, 2023
I can’t seem to find much info on breeding these two. I have an EE roo from Meyer Hatchery and an OE hen from Rural King (Hoovers). She has gone broody and I was wondering, if I breed them, what are the possible (or likely) egg colors the offspring might lay? Thanks for any input!

Greens lighter than the hens plus brows. In theory each chick will have a 50% chance of laying a shade if green unless the rooster has two copies of the gene, which is unlikely but can be tested for. Although each chicks has a 50/50 chance of inheriting the blue gene that doesn't mean 50% of a clutch will, you can have that result but also all green layers or none

Greens lighter than the hens plus brows. In theory each chick will have a 50% chance of laying a shade if green unless the rooster has two copies of the gene, which is unlikely but can be tested for. Although each chicks has a 50/50 chance of inheriting the blue gene that doesn't mean 50% of a clutch will, you can have that result but also all green layers or none
Thank you! I’m so appreciative of all the knowledge I’m gaining from this group. Your answer is so thorough and gives me a better understanding. While it’s hard to say what egg colors I’ll get, it’s interesting learning how it all works.

Back
Top Bottom