Breeding out a breed?

Silkie2299781

Songster
Feb 21, 2023
Just out of curiosity, could you "Breed out" a certain breed from a crossbreed? And if so, how long would it take?

For example:

If I bred my barred rock/silkie rooster to a silkie hen and then their offspring to another silkie hen/rooster (I have a lot of silkies, so inbreeding isn't an issue) and so on.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make any sense 🤣

If you have questions please ask me!

Outcrosses are fairly common in chicken breeding. Usually an outcross is to another variety of the same breed, but sometimes it's necessary to go outside of the breed to introduce a specific gene or for other reasons. Those outcrossed birds are then bred back to the starting breed and heavily selected until visually the line return to the proper look of the breed. So in other words, yes, if you continued to select for Silkie traits in the scenario you describe, you would eventually get back to those birds being Silkies. 🙂

Just out of curiosity, could you "Breed out" a certain breed from a crossbreed? And if so, how long would it take?

For example:

If I bred my barred rock/silkie rooster to a silkie hen and then their offspring to another silkie hen/rooster (I have a lot of silkies, so inbreeding isn't an issue) and so on.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make any sense 🤣

If you have questions please ask me!
Thats how most breeders have introduced exotic colors to breeds that lack the desired color.

Back
Top Bottom