Breeding Partridge with Buff???

Jan 2, 2019
I have a lovely almost 15 week old partridge boy, who I am keeping for breeding. He's got nice type & color, including a black breast, but his crest is mostly black with orange only towards the back of it. I do not have a partridge girl to breed him to. I am quite new to Silkies, & all I have are white silkie chicks, now almost 4 weeks old ..... & a black Sizzle & a white Sizzle, same age as him .... hatched at the same time, with eggs coming from the same breeder, so it's possible that the black girl is related to him, & might therefore carry for partridge. But I don't want to end up with lots of Sizzle partridges .... I have one partridge Sizzle boy from same hatching, & though he looks very fluffy, he is really just a mess of frizzled colors. So........ I now suddenly have the opportunity of adding a little buff girl to my flock, & I am wondering if she would be beneficial to breed my partridge boy with, as well as the white girls. The little buff girl is 8 weeks old. I don't know a great deal about genetics, so I'm hoping some of you guys will be able to help, as I am going to have to make a decision quite quickly.

Buff isn't going to help create partridge at all.

Stick with outcrossing to whites for genetic diversity.
Thanks for that. I'm in New Zealand, & only 2 other breeders are working with partridge, that I know of, as it doesn't appear to be a color that breeders like or want to work with. The two breeders don't want to part with any of their hens, understandably. I do know one lady who bought in six 8 week old partridge chicks a few weeks ago. None were more than pet quality, but would it be better to work with pet quality, & risk losing the nice type my young roo has, or better to work with good quality whites, from my own white adult pair?? Sorry to ask another question, but I don't seem able to find much of anything online about breeding partridge silkies.

Thanks for that. I'm in New Zealand, & only 2 other breeders are working with partridge, that I know of, as it doesn't appear to be a color that breeders like or want to work with. The two breeders don't want to part with any of their hens, understandably. I do know one lady who bought in six 8 week old partridge chicks a few weeks ago. None were more than pet quality, but would it be better to work with pet quality, & risk losing the nice type my young roo has, or better to work with good quality whites, from my own white adult pair?? Sorry to ask another question, but I don't seem able to find much of anything online about breeding partridge silkies.
Better to breed for type. ALWAYS breed for type over color.

I know you are from NZ :) I talked to you in your previous thread concerning this topic.

Back
Top Bottom