Breeding pens - What design did you use?

Quote:
Me too!
smile.png

I just redid my entire chicken setup. I used to have a bunch of small coops inside of one large pen. Now I have moved each small coop into it's own pen. (Thank you, John Deere.) It's nothing fancy, just a reconfiguration, the way I wish I had done it when I first started out. Oh, and nothing is finished yet. Nothing. Sigh.

In this picture, we have the brand new coop that we built to house the laying flock on the left. That pen is 16X36. Then on the right is a small coop in a 12X36 pen. That coop houses Welsummers. And their broody Dominique momma. That tiny house at the far right is the broody house those birds were hatched in. It needs to move to the bottom of the pen. But it's heavier than it looks, and the weather won't cooperate...

100_2932.jpg

I don't have any more pictures because the blizzard hit us before I could take pics, but continuing to the right are 2 more small coops. For now it's just one big pen, but the materials are laying there to split it down the middle and make it into 2 pens, again 12X36 each. I have a second line of Welsummers in there. Along with 2 broody mommas.

Once the pen is split, the Welsummers will be in one coop, and Ameraucanas that I plan to hatch next year will be in the other.

Oh, and there is plenty of room at the bottom of those pens to add more pens, utilizing the fence I already have up for one side. If I can talk my poor, long suffering husband into digging more holes for fenceposts.

Just thinking ahead...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom