Breeding pens

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
Can anyone share links for breeding pens, ideally space and size requirements for pairs or trios.

Would 3ft by 5ft be a sufficient sizing ?

Thanks.

Can anyone share links for breeding pens, ideally space and size requirements for pairs or trios.

Thanks.
That could be a bit tight.
Might depend on how you are breeding.
Are all the males and females kept separate until you're ready to pair them up?
It takes 4 weeks to clear unwanted sperm from the females to insure the cross you want.
But if the females have not been exposed to any males,
the pairs would only need to be together a week or two.

Yes that size is fine. 4 feet wide 5 feet deep 4 feet high dome pens. I've been keeping pairs and trios in domes for quite a long time.

400.jpeg-57.jpg
20200125_192521.jpg
20200323_184047.jpg
400-1.jpeg.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220501-134019_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220501-134019_Samsung Internet.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

The size of the chickens can make a big difference. A trio of Jersey Giants would need much more space than a trio of bantams. (I would think 3 feet by 5 feet is fine for a bantam trio, but maybe a bit tight for a trio of large fowl.)

You could start with the basic rules of thumb for chicken coop sizing, and see how your ideas compare. A common guideline for non-bantam chickens is 4 square feet per chicken in the coop and 10 square feet per chicken in the run. That would mean a coop at least 3 feet by 4 feet for a trio, plus a run with at least 30 square feet. If you want a single pen, not a coop-and-run setup, you might consider making it as big as a typical run (10 square feet per chicken, so about 5 feet by 6 feet for trio.) Of course no simple guideline is right for all cases-- your chickens might be fine in a smaller pen than I just mentioned, or they may demand more space. It depends on the breed, the individual chickens, the climate, how long they will be in the pens, and probably quite a few other factors.

Back
Top Bottom