Breeding question

Debski777

Chirping
10 Years
Dec 31, 2012
I have a speckled Sussex "Roo" and he has 1 production red hen,2 silverlaced wandottes, 1 americanna blue egg layer,and now, their offspring too,for concubines.at which point should I be concerned. I don't want to in breed them and I'm not sure of the rules of chicken husbandry.

Hi, you should definitely separate the ''roo'' and his young, in breeding really isn't healthy, also if one ends up also being a ''roo'' they can have very violent fights when he reaches maturity..

X2
In poultry, true inbreeding is a full brother to full sister. That is sometimes done but can be a real problem because every trait is compounded.
Many breeders use line breeding which is not inbreeding. That is father to daughter, granddaughter, great granddaughter et. al. and mother to son, grandson, great grandson et. al.
However, this is taking the best example of the breed and mating them to their best offspring.
When one has a single rooster and a bunch of other breed hens, it is of no concern and not enough of any breed to select good or bad traits.

Last edited:
At $50 per Cream Legbar chick from MPC, as soon as I saw one was an "accidental" cockerel I named Strawberry, I decided to breed him to the pullets to get some free $50 chicks.

From that first mating, I got a feisty pullet I named Ladybug. This past spring, I bred her to her daddy Strawberry, and I got a pullet I named Trixie and a cockerel named Toots.

I consider Toots a "spare roo". He won't be breeding. By the way, so far he and his daddy are getting along very well in spite of Toots experimenting with the hens under his beak. And all these Legbar offspring seem healthy and normal.

I also have a mix from Strawberry and an EE. Blue eggs are hard to tell apart, but Betsy is a keeper anyway.

At $50 per Cream Legbar chick from MPC, as soon as I saw one was an "accidental" cockerel I named Strawberry, I decided to breed him to the pullets to get some free $50 chicks.

From that first mating, I got a feisty pullet I named Ladybug. This past spring, I bred her to her daddy Strawberry, and I got a pullet I named Trixie and a cockerel named Toots.

I consider Toots a "spare roo". He won't be breeding. By the way, so far he and his daddy are getting along very well in spite of Toots experimenting with the hens under his beak. And all these Legbar offspring seem healthy and normal.

I also have a mix from Strawberry and an EE. Blue eggs are hard to tell apart, but Betsy is a keeper anyway.
My Brahma/Americana/ Orpington Pullets sell here for $30 and Broody Hens for $50....Lol

Back
Top Bottom