Breeding questions ??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kbreak, Jan 11, 2012.

1. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Can you breed hatch mates?? Inbreeding? I know I wouldn't with dogs/ other animals. But I know there is always some type of inbreeding.

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    out same pair no but out the same trio or group of hens yes

3. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    I am not sure I understand. I am new to this. This is what I have, 8 lavender orps I bought. Looks like at least 4 are roosters. I was gonna keep the hens and 1 rooster. Can I breed them?
    Sorry I didn't understand your answer.

4. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    yes you cant more then likely there not full brother and sister but i would also look for some other birds to add in later even if you have get blacks

5. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    and i would keep 2 boys breed 2 girls to one 3 to another

6. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    So I will keep 2 roos and whatever are hens. Then I can add more hens. You said even black. Does that make sure I get more lavender in there. Alnother dumb question if I am really trying to get into the breeding I would put 1 roo with xamount of hens and then the other roo and hens in seperate pen? In other words I wouldnt put both roos in same pen with a bunch of hens. You said black ? Would it be a black orp? Not ever seen one. Or would it be like an Australorp?
    I have become totally addicted to chickens. Gonna try to learn all I can about breeding.
    Thanks for putting up with my stupid questions.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    if you use black all chicks will be black carrying a lavender gene, then you would breed them to a lavender and you should get 50% lavender and 50% black if i remeber correctly. ok say if you have 3 hens and keep 2 roos you would first put those 3 hens with one of the roos for breeding hatch their eggs and once you have enough from them remove the roo thats with them and put the other roo in with them (wait at least a month after putting in the new roo) and hatch out their eggs then you would have 2 lines with the same moms but different dads. this will require you to keep exelaint records of your breeding. if you have orps then i would stick to orps.

L1 mom x L1 roo = L1f1 gen offspring
    L1 mom x L2 roo = f1 gen offspring
    L1f1 x f1 = f2 gen
    and so on if i am correct

8. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Thanks for the info . Is there a book that I can learn more about this?
    What part of Louisianna are you from?

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    central west close to the TX boarder

10. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS

I saw you were looking for some breeds. There is a Louisianna Poultry Trade group on facebook.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by