Breeding results?

Cameron_8

Chirping
Jan 5, 2021
Right now I have 6 hens who all lay blue/green eggs separated with my bcm and ee roo. Will the offspring lay blue and olive eggs?
20210415_193923.jpg
20210415_193937.jpg
20210415_193956.jpg
20210415_194125.jpg
20210415_194201.jpg

You shouldn't get any blue eggs. Green could range from green to olive.
You'll most likely get some that lay brown eggs also.

There's two sets of egg shell genes.
One is shell color its either blue or white.
The other set is the brown coating. There's at least. 13 different genes in play there.
Any green eggs have some brown genes involved. Once introduced its a real chore to produce anything that doesn't receive at least some of them so you'd be hard pressed to produce a blue egg layer now.
The reason I say that is because your blue egg layers are EEs and most have brown egg genes in them
Do any of your hens lay blue eggs with no green tint? The other problem is your one rooster is an EE and that means you have no idea what egg genes he carries. All the way around the odds are really stacked agains pure blue eggs. Not impossible though.
With EEs there's also a good cbance they carry white shell genes. Almost no chance they don't if they lay green because it would of been brought in with the brown genes.
So your EE rooster may carry white shell genes and your Marans does for sure. If any of your hens do which is a good possibly then some offspring will not receive any blue egg genes.

I just pulled my ee roo, so now it's just the bcm roo with the blue and green egg laying hens, hopefully I'll get some olive eggers. Thanks for the info!
There's two sets of egg shell genes.
One is shell color its either blue or white.
The other set is the brown coating. There's at least. 13 different genes in play there.
Any green eggs have some brown genes involved. Once introduced its a real chore to produce anything that doesn't receive at least some of them so you'd be hard pressed to produce a blue egg layer now.
The reason I say that is because your blue egg layers are EEs and most have brown egg genes in them
Do any of your hens lay blue eggs with no green tint? The other problem is your one rooster is an EE and that means you have no idea what egg genes he carries. All the way around the odds are really stacked agains pure blue eggs. Not impossible though.
With EEs there's also a good cbance they carry white shell genes. Almost no chance they don't if they lay green because it would of been brought in with the brown genes.
So your EE rooster may carry white shell genes and your Marans does for sure. If any of your hens do which is a good possibly then some offspring will not receive any blue egg genes.
Pulled

Back
Top Bottom