Breeding season for captives?

Kneedles

Songster
7 Years
Jul 22, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
I have been waiting for approximately two months for feedback from a pet shop that apparently sometimes has button quails, and for a shorter amount of time for feedback from a second pet shop that actually had a button quail when I visited, but which I decided not to buy, due to the fact that only one was present.
Apparently, the main reason for why there have not been any available is because it is currently not their breeding season (where I live). Do captive quail actually have breeding seasons, though?

That pet store is yanking your chain. Buttons are like coturnix, actually they tend to be even more thrifty. They'll lay every day of the year that lighting is sufficient. Typically you'll end up with so many button eggs that you have to stop collecting them to get the hen to stop laying them.

Edit: Are you referring to TRUE button quail, or king quail (coturnix chinesis) which are commonly referred to as buttons?

King quail AKA button quail

Last edited:
You mean they have the genus name Turnix?

Well I'll be darned. I had no idea that button quail and king quail were completely different things. I thought it was two different names for the same thing. Interesting.

You mean they have the genus name Turnix?

Well I'll be darned. I had no idea that button quail and king quail were completely different things. I thought it was two different names for the same thing. Interesting.
You'll have to excuse me, on occasion my fingers are faster than my brain.

The reason king quail are called button quail US is thought to be because American soldiers returning from war in Europe talked of tiny quail they kept that were "cute as a button". Who knows for sure but that is as likely an explanation as I've found.

Interesting indeed. No worries, I was partially checking because I was curious if they were family turnix and genus Turnix and my phones a pain to look things up on.

That pet store is yanking your chain. Buttons are like coturnix, actually they tend to be even more thrifty. They'll lay every day of the year that lighting is sufficient. Typically you'll end up with so many button eggs that you have to stop collecting them to get the hen to stop laying them.

Edit: Are you referring to TRUE button quail, or king quail (coturnix chinesis) which are commonly referred to as buttons?

King quail AKA button quail

I was referring to King Quail. I was originally going to write their name as "Chinese Painted Quail" to avoid confusion (the fact that a true species of quail was called the "button quail" seemed ignorant when I first found out about the name).
Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom