Breeding silkied Cochin bantams to the Standard

Pics
I honestly haven't had luck with them recovering from a solid foot. All of mine this year have had their leg(s) die. Keep an eye on it, and I would recommend popping any green blisters. Its the only thing I didn't do that might have helped. Spray hydrogen peroxide on it at least 1x a day, and keep it clean. It may start to slough if its real bad. Mine tend to linger in the feet for a few weeks, and then rapidly kill off the leg.

My thought process is that they can live without most toes, the can't live without a lower leg. At least that's the rule in my setup

Thank you so much for your insight! I'll keep an eye on it as time goes on and make sure to keep it clean. Do you know if Vetericyn would work in the place of hydrogen peroxide? I have a spray bottle of Vetericyn on hand, but not peroxide at the moment. I know they're different things, but Vetericyn is supposed to be a wound cleaner as well.

When I was checking his foot again after I posted, I did notice that the base of his toes where they meet the foot can move still, just his toes are solid, so hopefully that means he'll only lose the toes if anything and not start losing the lower leg. :fl

Thank you so much for your insight! I'll keep an eye on it as time goes on and make sure to keep it clean. Do you know if Vetericyn would work in the place of hydrogen peroxide? I have a spray bottle of Vetericyn on hand, but not peroxide at the moment. I know they're different things, but Vetericyn is supposed to be a wound cleaner as well.

When I was checking his foot again after I posted, I did notice that the base of his toes where they meet the foot can move still, just his toes are solid, so hopefully that means he'll only lose the toes if anything and not start losing the lower leg. :fl
I have absolutely no clue if it would work as well or better. Never used it. If it kills bacteria though, I imagine it should.

If they can bend or be flexed at all, my hopes would be higher

I checked his foot this morning, the toes are swollen but will at least bend now. I didn't want to mess with them too much beyond testing that, though! He's walking normally as well, no limp or favoring of the other foot. So he seems to be doing okay so far at least. :fl He is not happy getting my attention, though--he about shot right out of his pen past me and I had to grab him up real quick!

I checked his foot this morning, the toes are swollen but will at least bend now. I didn't want to mess with them too much beyond testing that, though! He's walking normally as well, no limp or favoring of the other foot. So he seems to be doing okay so far at least. :fl He is not happy getting my attention, though--he about shot right out of his pen past me and I had to grab him up real quick!
Yeah, they can get quite spunky. I had to actively hunt Samwell down a few times while trying to treat his foot. Bird was big, but he was also surprisingly fast

For sure! And I didn't think a little fuzzball like Jack could move like that, but he almost gave me the slip! Mostly that was because he was standing there and letting me move his feathers aside to look at his foot, and then he darted all of the sudden. Good thing the door of that cage isn't super wide or I may have ended up chasing a little rooster around the house this morning. :th

It's been mild and projected to stay as such for the foreseeable future here, so I put Jack back outside. He's so much happier in his normal pen than he was inside in the little hospital pen! Looking at his foot this evening, the puffiness is finally going down and there appears to be a slight buildup of fluid along his middle toe, but he's walking pretty normally (just a slight limp at this point) and behaving normally otherwise. Looks like his outer toe is pretty much undamaged and it's just his middle and inner toe on that foot that have been affected. Poor guy. I made sure he was perched properly and nestled down over that foot to keep it nice and warm.

Oh, and I forgot I was going to mention this, but I was looking at the Blue boys again today and... I'm starting to feel like Wyatt is the right choice for my Blue pen. My only hesitation is that his comb is not well serrated at all... but that's his only real weak point to my eye. He's perfectly round, broad, good wing carriage (when viewed at a distance because he's a doofus and drops his wings when I get too close :rolleyes: ), and great type. Zeke's great, too, just a tiny bit narrower in the tail but otherwise solid, and his comb is much prettier than Wyatt's, but... I can't put it into words, something about Wyatt just seems better to me overall. I'll have to get fresh pictures of them soon, they are 8 months old now. I hope to have the Blue pullets separated out with whichever cockerel I settle on by the end of the month or the beginning of next month so that I can really get hatching in March. :fl

Back
Top Bottom