Breeding with the duckwing pattern

Interesting, I did not know males could be both silver and gold. I may just use him as my breeder then. I was under the impression if there is gold or red in a bird, good luck getting it out. I was also leery to use him because I think he may be infertile. I have not found a fertilized egg from my hens. However, I do not have any araucana hens, just "normal" layers (australorps, sex-links, EEs), all except one are bigger than him. I'm wondering if its just a difference in body type. Maybe if he was with his like-kind (as in shaped the same) he could "hit the mark". I was also unaware until recently when trimming vents for fertility you trim the males as well... I have only been trimming my hens. :oops: He has a personality and temperament that is out of this world so I would really like to get some chicks out of him. I think I would rather take more time in getting the gold out of his offspring than buying the silver based pair. So now I think I will order some SDW chicks from the same breeder that has the pair for sale, pick out the best pullets and sell the others. If he proves to be sterile I will simply put him back in with his mixed flock and find a new SDW cockbird.
Thank you so much for info; it has helped make a big decision.

I was under the impression if there is gold or red in a bird, good luck getting it out.

That would be true of stray feathers in say an extended black bird which is pure for extended black, but lacking the necessary melanising genes to ensure an absolutely black bird. With this chap, it's very clear he's not pure for extended black, but regardless, as we are working on duckwing, that's what we'll want to push for; the leakage is actually a positive here.

I was also leery to use him because I think he may be infertile. I have not found a fertilized egg from my hens.

Rumplessness can cause fertility issues, I know, though it is unusual that he is not hitting the mark with at least some of the girls. I'd definitely trim to check that he's actually able to do the deed. Personally, regardless of his current fertility status, I'd be getting together any breeding stock I could afford, to ensure the maximum amount of diversity in a breeding project like this; you will need to go for a few generations before you'll get your perfect bird, so having at least a couple of breeding groups from unrelated lines would be a good idea.

Personally, regardless of his current fertility status, I'd be getting together any breeding stock I could afford, to ensure the maximum amount of diversity in a breeding project like this;
This is what I was thinking. I'd get the other so I had more then one to work with. Especially if this one may have fertility issues.
Sorry haven't been much help. Seems by the time I show up @Sneebsey has already got it all covered. He covers things so well there usually isn't much or anything to add.

This is what I was thinking. I'd get the other so I had more then one to work with. Especially if this one may have fertility issues.
Sorry haven't been much help. Seems by the time I show up @Sneebsey has already got it all covered. He covers things so well there usually isn't much or anything to add.
I will take all the opinions and help I can get! Your advice and knowledge is always appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom