breeding?

From everything I've read, occasional sister to brother matings are not really the concern--the concern is continued in-breeding that will eventually cause genetic issues. Line breeding (mother to son, farther to daughter) can also eventually cause genetic issues, but it takes longer.

I am pretty sure, and I could be wrong, but in dogs breeding brother to sister, or mother to son, father to daughter is inbreeding. Line breeding is when you take the grandfather or great grandfather and breed to granddaughter or great granddaugther and vice versa. This way you avoid more of the common inbreeding issues since you have a generation gap or two but you are also able to enhance the traits of that line you are wanting to bring forth in your breeding program. I do not breed my dobermans so I could be wrong but from speaking with my AKC breeding friends of different breeds that was my understanding of it in dogs. I could be wrong, but it is nice to know that in chickens it is different !!

In many if not most fowl breeding situations one may not know exactly which hen produced which egg. I think in many cases there will be rooster over a couple to several hens. So you might know if you are breeding half brothers etc. but whether or not they are full brothers and sister is likely unknown. At least this has been my experience.

Mother/son, father/daughter, and brother/sister are typically considered inbreeding. Grandfather/granddaughter, grandmother/grandson, aunt/nephew, and uncle/niece are typically considered line breeding.

Just for clarification: inbreeding and linebreeding do not create genetic issues. Inbreeding and linebreeding distill the genetics in the line and create enough homogeneous-ness (yeah, not a word, so sue me.
wink.png
) so that both the genetic faults and the superior genetic qualities are revealed. One of the reasons that line- and inbreeding are used is that it's genetic "shorthand," revealing which dogs carry which traits so that they can be removed from the breeding program or so that they can be used to have a greater positive influence on the breed. I would imagine that the same would be true for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom