Breeds good with heat?

I LOVE my NN, Rue! She's a fantastic chicken. Curious, friendly, good layer. I wasn't sure about her at first, but she's one of my favorites now.

But Leghorn are great, too. Just not super friendly, ime. Crazy good layers, though. And I think they're very pretty, even if they are (as my son says) the "default chicken."
🤣
From my research they're more nervous than mean, right? NN freak me out. I don't know why but I think they're so ugly 😂

From my research they're more nervous than mean, right? NN freak me out. I don't know why but I think they're so ugly 😂
Oh, they are weird looking - especially when they have full crops. But she has the most gorgeous green iridescent feathers.

Rue isn't afraid of anything. She's one of the few chickens I have that will run up to me to be picked up. She's hilarious! I go in there, and she's RIGHT THERE.

She's grown on me. Like fungus.
20211019_174931.jpg

Oh, they are weird looking - especially when they have full crops. But she has the most gorgeous green iridescent feathers.

Rue isn't afraid of anything. She's one of the few chickens I have that will run up to me to be picked up. She's hilarious! I go in there, and she's RIGHT THERE.

She's grown on me. Like fungus.
View attachment 3060620
I don't think I can do it. One of my hens is broody and has plucked her underbelly and when I picked her up it grossed me out so bad to be touching her nakedness 😂😂

Well,I went to tractor supply and their chicks were only 0.50 so of course I had to get some. I got 2 leghorns, 2 speckled sussex, and.....2 turkens. 🤦‍♀️ ugly little things.
The turken's will grow on you. I only have one left in my flock now. My next door neighbor kept buying what was left of my Naked Neck's. They lay egg's well, and mine were friendly and went broody. The girl's like to chatter with you when you go out there. I only have one red Naked Neck left now, and I am switching over to the Bielefelder's.

Oh, and the Naked Neck's not only have no neck feather, but they also have less feathering on the body then other breed's. That's what help's to keep them cooler.

I thought naked necks were ugly also until I got a bunch. Now I think they are the most exotic awesomest chickens there is. Do great in heat and below freezing temps.
Ain't nothin greenfire farms has that can hold a candle to the naked necks. And I ain't biased at all ;):cool:

I don't think I can do it. One of my hens is broody and has plucked her underbelly and when I picked her up it grossed me out so bad to be touching her nakedness 😂😂
They are actually more naked than they look, the feathers cover up a lot of bare skin.
The breast just has a strip of feathers each side, half the breast smooth skin, vent area bare and half the legs.

I thought naked necks were ugly also until I got a bunch. Now I think they are the most exotic awesomest chickens there is. Do great in heat and below freezing temps.
Ain't nothin greenfire farms has that can hold a candle to the naked necks. And I ain't biased at all ;):cool:
I got home and told my husband I got more chicks but I couldnt resist because they were only $0.50 .he said "did you get a lot?".I told hime "no, but look!"and shoved the 2 naked necks in his face. His response? "Eew, why??"😂😂😂

Back
Top Bottom